Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Missed amidst the strange argument that Robert Craft was some cold warrior doing the bidding of the OSS/CIA is the fact that even if true it only makes his comments more inane and reprehensible because it means he was dishonestly (and perhaps even lying) about a living composer's legacy and style in pursuit of a secret agenda. I have no idea how that would make a person think more highly of Craft rather than if he'd just been giving his honest, albeit goofy and bordering on envious, opinion as a critic.

In any case I'll stand by him having a negative influence on Stravinsky. I don't even dislike all atonal music but I can imagine a universe where Stravinsky had a final act on par with his historical peers such as Beethoven and Debussy - experimental, but still containing tuneful masterpieces. While I don't think late Stravinsky is a total loss I am among those who think it's well below his early and middle period. If you like late Stravinsky, then bully for you - you should get a portrait of Robert Craft to hang in the john. The ad hominem and unpleasantness only makes certain posters seem desperate and insecure in the seemingly forever debate over serialism and atonalism.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's true. A thread listing and discussing every single famous musician in history who made negative comments about now-famous composers-whether mild or scathing, informed or prejudiced-would be a very long thread.

ETA: example, "was Mendelssohn right about Berlioz?"

Well, it was just, like, his opinion, man...

...and it happens I disagree with it. So what?
It's a good starting point for discussion, IMO. Better than most at least. Lots of artists and critics held polemical opinions and it's fun to agree or disagree - that's just, like, the point of internet forums, man. Nabokov held extremely polemical (and often very stupid IMO) opinions on other authors. But he was funny, and kind of right, even while being wrong. I just feel Craft is wrong on this, and not right in any respect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts