Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I am somewhat inclined to agree with Craft, but one must remember Shostakovich's main critic, namely:Stalin (a certified psychopath and mass murderer). I'm sure if Robert Craft had had to answer to Stalin he wouldn't have shot his mouth off with quite the same abandon—or he'd be dead. He would have turned into quite a different writer and conductor. I do think Stalin greatly affected the kind of composer Shostakovich became, but I would be reluctant to write him off quite like Craft.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
"Was Shostakovich a great composer? Not by any criteria of innovation in the language and style of music or by extraordinary powers of invention . . . "

By that measure, neither was Bach.
Really? Bach wrote the first true keyboard concerto, was the first to systematically adopt the well tempered system (composing the WTC just to force the matter) and brought counterpoint to a degree of sophistication and brilliance never matched before or after. As for extraordinary powers of invention-that's what he was famous for... I admit, you trolled me, but just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Why not just post a response to the person whose post you object to? It makes it so much easier for us all.
No, no. Let's keep the accusation of ignorance as general as possible. I just started my popcorn. This is great. I'm having my Collin Robinson (reference to "What we do in the Shadows) moment.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't think any of the above were Stravinsky-like "innovations". Bach was essentially a musical conservative, not an 18th century avant-gardist.
To say that Bach wasn't an 18th century avant-gardist (who was?) doesn't mean that he didn't, by a number of criteria, innovate as regards music and the language of music (of course that meant something different in his day); and, have to say it again, Bach's "extraordinary powers of invention" were unequaled. We're just going to have to disagree as regards Bach. As regards Stravinsky, I attended a concert in which Joshua Bell performed Beethoven and Stravinsky. What struck me with incredible force was how childish, insipid and "conservative" Stravinsky's music sounded next to Beethoven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts