Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
When answering we must remember we only have the works written to judge him on, not what might have been. Of course his most radical work, Lady Macbeth, upset the mass-murderer Stalin with its immorality. Always interesting that a psychopath could murder millions without thought yet think a bed on stage was immoral! This nearly cost the composer his life so he intended to write to please after that. Of course, Craft tends to be typical of those who, being without an abundance of talent himself, tries to belittle those of vastly greater talent.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I don't really like to analyze what makes a composer great or what makes Shostakovich Shostakovich. I'm more interested in just listening to different perspectives on it, so I would classify the OP perspective as 'interesting.'

Not surprised by any classical fan disliking Shostakovich. Classical fans dislike Bach and Beethoven. Classical fans include all kinds of less known composers in their top. It's all subjective and not right or wrong.
Pardon? Don't see them queuing up?

·
Banned
463 Posts
It's true. A thread listing and discussing every single famous musician in history who made negative comments about now-famous composers-whether mild or scathing, informed or prejudiced-would be a very long thread.

ETA: example, "was Mendelssohn right about Berlioz?"

Well, it was just, like, his opinion, man...

...and it happens I disagree with it. So what?
Or politicians. Churchill: "Attlee is a very modest little man. And he has plenty to be modest about!"

·
Banned
463 Posts
It's true. A thread listing and discussing every single famous musician in history who made negative comments about now-famous composers-whether mild or scathing, informed or prejudiced-would be a very long thread.]

Wasn't it Brahms who walked out of a gathering saying, "If there is anyone here I haven't insulted, I apologise!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts