Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
9 May:
Little Richard (87, Undisclosed). American singer, songwriter, and musician. An influential figure in popular music and culture for seven decades, Penniman's most celebrated work dates from the mid-1950s, when his charismatic showmanship and dynamic music, characterized by frenetic piano playing, pounding back beat and raspy shouted vocals, laid the foundation for rock and roll (from Wiki). See also here.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I loved all 3 of them, actually, despite their, say, differences.

In fact, thanks to Greenfield's playing in The Stranglers' Golden Brown, I learned to appreciate the harpsichord. First, mainly as an accompanying instrument, later also (very much) as a solo instrument.

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10 May:
Betty Wright (66, cancer). American soul and R&B singer, songwriter and background vocalist, who had hits such as Clean Up Woman. Her name did not ring a bell, and indeed she only had a small hit in the Netherlands in 1975 with Shoorah Shoorah.

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22 May:
Mory Kanté (70, "chronic illness" which used to be treated in France, but was stopped because of the travel restrictions) was a Guinean vocalist and player of the kora harp. He was best known internationally for his 1987 hit song "Yé ké yé ké", which reached number-one in Belgium, Finland, the Netherlands, and Spain.

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
4 June:
Steve Priest (72, undisclosed) was a British bass player known as the lead and backing vocalist of the glam rock band The Sweet. Their hits were a mean feature of my teenage years.
Pity - that only leaves Andy Scott from the original band. We have definitely now reached the point when artists are dying from natural causes and illness rather than from excess.

I wish Ian Hunter a belated happy birthday and with many more to follow - Mott the Hoople's frontman was 81(!) on Wednesday.

Reactions: Art Rock

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
It sounds morbid but I was trying to think of the band going furthest back whose members are all still alive.

The best I can come up with was Manfred Mann - the five members of the 1963-65 line-up who recorded a number of hits are still will us.

Reactions: Malx and Art Rock

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8 June:
Bonnie Pointer (69, cardiac arrest), American singer, most notable for being a member of the vocal group, The Pointer Sisters. Pointer scored several moderate solo hits after leaving the Pointers in 1977, including a disco cover of The Elgins' "Heaven Must Have Sent You" which became a U.S. top 20 pop hit on September 1, 1979 (from Wiki).

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
28 April (reported recently):
Bobby Lewis (95, pneumonia), American rock and roll and rhythm and blues singer. He scored one of the greatest hits of the sixties ("Tossin' and Turnin', seven weeks #1 in the USA).

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
It has been reported that English pianist Keith Tippett has died on June 14th at age 72. He was known for his work with King Crimson and many others including his wife of 50 years, Julie (nee, Driscoll).

Reactions: Malx

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
12 June:
Ricky Valance (84), Welsh pop singer. He was best known for the UK number one single "Tell Laura I Love Her", which sold over a million copies in 1960.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It has been reported that English pianist Keith Tippett has died on June 14th at age 72. He was known for his work with King Crimson and many others including his wife of 50 years, Julie (nee, Driscoll).
It is somewhat unfortunate, that most people that know of him, only know of him because of King Crimson.

But he was so much more. From progressive big band jazz, to free jazz, to solo piano, to loads of session work.

A big loss, for sure.

Reactions: Barbebleu and Malx

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Lucky Peterson 1964-2020 American blues guitarist and organist died at his home this week. He was 55.

·
Registered
32,425 Posts
July 6th

Ennio Morricone OMRI (Rome, 10 November 1928 – died, 6 July 2020)
Famous film music composer .

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
July 6th

Charlie Daniels (1936-2020, stroke), American singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist[6] known for his contributions to Southern rock, country, and bluegrass music. He was best known for his number-one country hit "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".

·
Registered
32,425 Posts
July 7th

The Brazilian ( Bossa Nova) singer Dulce Nunes has died of Covid-91, her family says. She was 90.

·
Registered
32,425 Posts
July 23th

Maria Ilva Biolcati, ; born 17 July 1939), known as Milva [ˈmilva], is an Italian singer, stage and film actress, and television personality
She was an Italian Lotte Lenya, with added edge. Milva was 81 last week.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts