Classical Music Forum banner

Roll of Honour

93093 Views 337 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Montarsolo
The aim of this thread is to collect links to obituaries of people.involved in the classical music world. They can be performers, conductors, composers, teachers, instrument makers - whatever.

One of the problems of posting such links is that sometimes they will be hidden behind paywalls. We subscribe to The Telegraph print edition and get a pass to their main site so don't always notice the problem.
Reactions: 1
321 - 338 of 338 Posts
German Vladislav Czarnecki dies at 85

Kammerorchester Pforzheim mourns the loss of Vladislav Czarnecki. According to the orchestra, the long-standing artistic director (1986-2002) died at the age of 85 surrounded by his family in Bad Wildbad.

Sources : Twitter and Klassik .com
Spanisch guitar master Gerardo Arriaga Moreno dies at 66

Sources: SlippeDisc and Twitter
Australian conductor and vocal coach (Robert) Andrew Greene dies . Age not to be found

Sources : SlippeDisc and Twitter

American opera director Tim Hawkes dies at 81

Chzech compoers Marek Kopelent dies at 90

Sources± SlippeDisc and Twitter
French trumpet/ horn player Daniel Bourgue, dies at 86

Austria soprano Judith Halasz has died

Sources: SLippeDisc and Twitter

Romanian soprano Virginia Zeani dies at 97

Sources: SLippeDisc and Twitter

American organist and composer Daniel Chorzempa died aged 78. I'm sure I have some CD's with him playing.

Czech violinist Ladislav Jásek, winner of the 1956 Carl Flesch Competition, died in Adelaide aged 93.

British composer Christopher Gunning passed away on March 25th, aged 78. Many of his symphonies and concertos have been recorded by labels such as Chandos and Albany (I have six CD's of his work). Gunning also composed for films and TV, including the music for nearly all of the Poirot TV films starring David Suchet. RIP.

Reactions: 2
Ryuichi Sakamoto, the Oscar-winning Japanese composer who scored films including “The Last Emperor,” “The Sheltering Sky” and “The Revenant,” has died at 71.
Posted here as he was in Yellow Magic Orchestra.
  • Sad
Lev Markis (b. 1930), a Russian violinist and conductor who emigrated to the Netherlands in 1981, has reportedly passed away at age 92. He was concertmaster of the Moscow Chamber Orchestra, and later the founder of New Sinfonietta Amsterdam. https://slippedisc.com/2023/04/death-of-a-legendary-russian-maestro-92/

Also, I see that Spanish tenor Pedro Lavirgen (b. 1930) has died at the age of 92. Obituary: Legendary Tenor Pedro Lavirgen Dies at 92 - OperaWire and https://slippedisc.com/2023/04/an-esteemed-spanish-tenor-dies-at-92/
  • Thank You
I recently learned that Ingrid Haebler passed away on May 14 at the age of 93.

A week earlier, Menahem Pressler (pianist of the Beaux Arts Trio) passed away at the age of 99.

See less See more
  • Sad
321 - 338 of 338 Posts