Classical Music Forum banner

Who rode the waves the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cerquetti and Tatum were suggested contestants. I was going to include Farrell, who has a great version, but she is in many contests lately. On Gadski, click on the Youtube link.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is two rounds enough of this aria?I have other people with suggested contestants so I could do a third round if there is interest. I have never had so many suggestions for an aria.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe 5 or 6 minutes, but that rather restricts you to Puccini and verismo. Most nineteenth centruy arias tend to be longer. Of course, if it's an aria I like then I don't mind it being longer, so I'm being purely subjective.
I can easily do just two arias for arias over 7 min. in length in the future.. You are a major voter and your opinion is important to me. I've done that for arias close to 10 min in the past and there are a few of those. The exception will be in final votes from three contests but most of you remember what you think from the first listen.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
no. Joan Sutherland rules this aria.
I love her version as well but I refuse to enter for competition Sutherland after the Art of the Prima Donna as people on this forum hate later Sutherland. She did this in 62 two years after The Art and people don't like her new placement of her voice and the decline in her pronunciation that occurred shortly after 1960. It is not just one member either. Only early Sutherland gets fair consideration here. I've lived and learned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts