Classical Music Forum banner

Who sang it best/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I just love “in grembo al drudo” it just sounds so wonderful. It actually means something akin to “lover’s lap.” Or it could be construed as “in your lover’s arms.”

I think Janet Baker’s version is too fast, but it fits the interpretation: she sounds angry, urgent, which might be the obvious emotion in context. Most other versions are slower, some much slower (Minkowski). There are no tempo or other markings in the scores I’ve seen, so I suppose it’s open to any interpretation in tempo or emotion. So Baker’s version might be as correct as anyone else’s. But I find it hurried, perhaps because it’s just the opposite of all of the others. I’m not sure I like it, as it seems that she’s shouting. The sudden change into the softer dynamic was surprising, more so because it was now delicately decorated.

David Daniel’s version is more in keeping with what I am used to and expected. As usual with him, it is beautifully sung and inflected and it’s modulated like an interior monologue. It’s just as valid as Baker’s version. However, Daniel’s foray into the bridge sounds placid and the emotion applied in contrast with Baker’s force.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts