Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A comment that another member made has been milling around in my head for the last week and I have an idea for a regular thread on TC - they said that they try to listen to a new symphony every Saturday.

Talk Classical members came up with a list of the http://www.talkclassical.com/12443-tc-150-most-recommended.html#post144821 - I have looked at the list numerous times and some I know, some I don't, some I don't like and some I love.

I propose that we listen to one 'new' for (some of us) symphony every saturday and comment on it. For some of us this could be a three year long journey of discovery, for some this could be tedium infinitum, but of course you don't have to join in.

So lets look at the rules - which I hope will be commented on and refined as we go along:

1. Every Saturday I will create a 'Saturday Symphony' thread for the next symphony on the list.
2. Each member participating to post what version of the symphony they are going to listen to.
3. As soon as possible, each listener to post comments on the version they have listened to.

So who's in?

Cheers - Barry

· Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm definitely game.

But do you propose selecting a single work for all of us to listen to and discuss, or that each of us chooses a work from the list that is unknown to us? The former would probably be less messy; the latter would entail a great deal of overlap, say Ravndal chooses a work that I chose a few weeks ago: he may talk about one aspect, and I another. The result would be little collaboration and contributory discussions and more simple statements of impressions, impressions to which many might not be able to respond or contribute.

· Registered
13,298 Posts
Havergal Brian ~ Symphony No. 1 "Gothic" should be one of them, making sure everyone's Saturday is almost completely consumed with listening to one piece :)

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm definitely game.

But do you propose selecting a single work for all of us to listen to and discuss, or that each of us chooses a work from the list that is unknown to us? The former would probably be less messy; the latter would entail a great deal of overlap, say Ravndal chooses a work that I chose a few weeks ago: he may talk about one aspect, and I another. The result would be little collaboration and contributory discussions and more simple statements of impressions, impressions to which many might not be able to respond or contribute.
We would all listen to the same symphony each Saturday, the difference being that we will all try and choose a different recording of it (varying conductor, orchestra, etc).

The first symphony for the Saturday coming up is Beethoven 9, as per the TC 150 Top Symphonies.

· Registered
2,220 Posts
We would all listen to the same symphony each Saturday, the difference being that we will all try and choose a different recording of it (varying conductor, orchestra, etc).

The first symphony for the Saturday coming up is Beethoven 9, as per the TC 150 Top Symphonies.
It's a great idea! I'm looking forward to it.

· Administrator
18,928 Posts

Do you plan on stepping through the symphonies in the order of the TC symphony list?

· Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you plan on stepping through the symphonies in the order of the TC symphony list?
I think so, otherwise it might get confusing. Members will be able to miss out the ones they don't wish to do and join in on the ones they do. Up until the end of last week I have never heard Mahlers second, and that's number two on the list.

Of course the participants can collectively vote to miss out a symphony but I think the commentary my be interesting to any newcomers to classical music.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm happy to go along with whatever is decided, but I would prefer the rules etc to be as simple as possible and doing the TC symphony list in order, with the option to duck out if it's a work we prefer not to be involved with, seems like the simplest way to go. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.