Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I believe Schubert wrote it for a virtuoso to play, which is why he couldn't play it himself. A touching story! I admire the work but don't love it, probably for that reason. I thought Richter's performance was dreadful, hard-driven and heartless. A surprise after his take on D960!

·
Registered
Brahms, Schumann
17,045 Posts
Kempff is my go-to but I sometimes listen this for my hammer-and-bang treatment. :) He goes berserk at the finale:

(Julius Katchen - Salle Gaveau, 1967)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Kempff is my go-to but I sometimes listen this for my hammer-and-bang treatment. :) He goes berserk at the finale:

(Julius Katchen - Salle Gaveau, 1967)
Yes, if there is a recording with less temperament in the 'forte' passages, I would prefer such one.
Apart from that, I think Richter's phrasing in the 'Wanderer' theme, i.e. taken from the Lied 'Der Wanderer' is indeed very good.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I think there is a historical (late 1930s?) recording with Edwin Fischer (who didn't record any of the Schubert sonatas but shorter pieces) but I am not sure I ever heard it; I certainly would hope Fischer to be not so "bangy".

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am a fan of the Richter as well and the way the piece is written then there has to be a certain amount of 'hammer and bang' as someone described it in the first movement as that is the way that it is written by Schubert. I feel that Schubert is trying to use the "Sturm und Drang" of his idol Beethoven in that movement. Also note that for that movement Schubert's direction is to play it Allegro con fuoco which Richter definitely does.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Richter’s performance may have been the first Schubert piano music I bought - pretty much blindly at the time. I didn’t care for it, and didn’t listen to the work for decades. When the EMI CD Richter box set was released I listened to it again. Still didn’t like it.

I do like Kempff’s Schubert sonata set (as well as a number of other Schubert piano recordings). Maybe I need to try Kempff’s Fantasy.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts