Classical Music Forum banner

Which of these should "science" (or anyone else) listen to the most?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that this is actually my first totally random poll, but it might turn out to be the first in a series.

To get one thing out of the way, there is no good explanation or excuse for this poll (or its successors, should there be any).

Another thing out of the way, this is not a very serious thing. It is not an attempt to discover the absolute truth about the objectively greatest whatever whatever whatever whatever. I'm just curious. I just want to put the question to the community here and see what the results are. It's nothing more than that.

Yet one more thing out of the way: I'd be very impressed if anyone has heard all of the recordings I'm about to list. You can vote for things based on your personal experience, your own wishes for yourself, what you've heard about them, whatever.

The question is, of the recordings listed, which do you think should be the highest priority for me as a listener?

One last thing out of the way: if you don't think I should have priorities, or that "should" has any place, or whatever, please feel free not to participate, or to vote for a recording on some other grounds or anything!

· Banned
9,050 Posts
I can't see where the list it, did you post it? This sounds like a good fun thread. It would be fun recommending other listeners which recordings they should listen to "first", given any list. :)

Reactions: science

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
43,004 Posts
I've voted for 4 discs:

Bruch - a composer well worth exploring beyond his first violin concerto
Gorecki - everyone knows his S3, going beyond that, his SQ's are a great choice
Kancheli - because he does not get recognized much, and everything I have heard from him is worthwhile
Messiaen - essential 20thC composer with one of his most impressive works

Good luck!

· Registered
8,244 Posts
They all look tasty - even the ones I haven't heard. Of those I have I'd unhesitatingly recommend the Chung Messiaen and the Summerly Orbrecht to anyone and everyone.

If I'm correct in assuming these are discs you'd recommend then I'll be sure to check out the Andreissen and the Tuur first chance I get.

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They all look tasty - even the ones I haven't heard. Of those I have I'd unhesitatingly recommend the Chung Messiaen and the Summerly Orbrecht to anyone and everyone.

If I'm correct in assuming these are discs you'd recommend then I'll be sure to check out the Andreissen and the Tuur first chance I get.
I don't know how strongly I'd recommend any of them, though I like them all well enough. I believe you'd like both Andriessen and Tuur, but perhaps especially Andriessen. I don't know of course!

G

·
Kurtag and Ligeti.
Not heard all of them but I've got a Kurtag and Ligeti thing going on at the moment so that one first. Have you seen Ligeti's grave?

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Kancheli's Lament is an extraordinary work. I suggest you listen to it with a good set of headphones in the dark so as to not have any distraction whatsoever.

Reactions: science

· Registered
8,030 Posts
What do you mean by "most" exactly? It's a meaningless term. We listen to some things more often than other yes, but "most?" That's an absolute and there can be no absolutes to the clearly more intelligent cognoscenti unless you know everything that is going to happen for all of eternity. Boy - some people and their silly polls!

However, I'd give the Weinberg several listens more often than several others, assuming I knew everything to happen in all of eternity.

7,314 Posts
Do we take as read the idea that any listening advice is just projection on the advisor's part?

So I went with:
New York Variations. Because it's Stephen Hough and I find him interesting.
Obrecht. Because you probably haven't heard much Obrecht before, if any.
Weinberg. Because Weinberg's been a big discovery for me in the last few years, and I have this album and like it.

· Registered
4,977 Posts
I haven't heard of most of these composers or some of the works by composers I have heard of, so...

If it were me, I'd start just like I really did start, with:

Messiaen Canyons
Schoenberg Choral Works
Haydn Piano Sonatas
Ligeti Viola Music

These are the composers that have become my staples over the past numerous decades and, as such, I still listen to them often.

I'd probably expand tentatively to:

Kurtág, Bruch, Ketelby, Weinberg and Copland, since I have had limited, but promising experiences with some of their works.

All the rest are blank slates for me, so, time permitting, I might occasionally seek out a piece on YT. I don't feel a great draw, but I could make a discovery!

Gorecki and Tüür remain. I have sampled a couple of their works and was not attracted, so I'd likely leave them to the end. There's always the possibility that I would end up really liking them, after all. It could have been one unfortuitous work or just not the right time for me. First impressions are not always correct.

I hope this response meets the requirements of your study, science ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.