Classical Music Forum banner

What should I listen to most?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The results of previous (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 and a loser's edition) totally random polls have all greatly interested, surprised, educated, and assisted, me, so I now begin a totally new totally random poll. As always, the question is:

Of the recordings listed, which do you think should be the highest priorities for me as a listener?

You can see cover art below.

I will confess that these polls are nothing like "totally random" and that there is a measure of method mixed into a great deal of madness. Also, I think some recordings may have appeared on previous polls.

By voting sincerely, you really are helping me prioritize my listening.

And, truly, y'all have surprised me in one way or another on every single poll. It has been enlightening for me.

So, thank you very much!

· Registered
8,244 Posts
As many fine recordings of Schubert's Scone Mullerin as there are out there..Bostridge's first is something really special.

Plus Karajan's Second Viennese albums. Those two, then.

(incidentally: I'm listening to Sequentia's Edda, from one of your previous polls right now)

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As many fine recordings of Schubert's Scone Mullerin as there are out there..Bostridge's first is something really special.

Plus Karajan's Second Viennese albums. Those two, then.

(incidentally: I'm listening to Sequentia's Edda, from one of your previous polls right now)
It's an experience, isn't it?

I can only guess about anything like its authenticity, though I trust they would've made their best effort. Let us sail the whale road to Vinland and take some Skraeling women!

· Banned
9,050 Posts
The Bach, the Handel, and all the Mozart. Such contrasting pieces covering the full range of musical expression.

Reactions: science

· Registered
4,609 Posts
Tallis - Tallis Scholars - beautiful
Schubert - Die Schone Mullerin - Bostridge is one of the best Schubert singers out there today
Rweski - Really interesting piece.

Reactions: science

· Registered
7,680 Posts
Voted especially in relation to preferred recordings; in spite of their main-stream reputation & owing a good deal of alternatives, I still enjoy Ashkenazy´s Scriabin and Karajan´s orchestral Neue Wiener Schule a lot (don´t remember hearing Bernstein´s Haffner, which could be very fine too).

· Registered
2,726 Posts
I'm voting for the only one I know- Die Schöne Müllerin- since you want something to listen to often. In nearly twenty years since I first heard it, that piece has never got old. The only thing I would say (which I'm sure I've said before) is that I would go for Peter Schreier or Franz Naval rather than the choirboy Bostridge.

· Registered
2,340 Posts
Many masterpieces but I'd have chosen different recordings for most of them.
I voted for both of the 2nd Viennese School albums (I'm particurarly fond of the Karajan's since it was my introduction to the 3 Viennese guys), the Rzewski and the Schubert/Beecham

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.