Classical Music Forum banner

Which should I listen to most?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The results of previous (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 and a loser's edition) totally random polls have all greatly interested, surprised, educated, and assisted, me, so I now begin a totally new totally random poll. As always, the question is:

Of the recordings listed, which do you think should be the highest priorities for me as a listener?

You can vote for things based on your personal experience, what you've heard about them, what look most interesting to you, what you think would be most educational for me, whatever.

I will confess that these polls are nothing like "totally random" and that there is a measure of method mixed into a great deal of madness. Also, I think some recordings may have appeared on previous polls.

By voting sincerely, you really are helping me prioritize my listening.

And, truly, y'all have surprised me in one way or another on every single poll. It has been enlightening for me.

So, thank you very much!

Here is the cover art for this round (in a form which I believe counts as "fair use," not violating any copyrights!):

View attachment 64458

· Banned
9,050 Posts
Definitely the Mozart symphonies and Schubert quintet. :)

Reactions: science
G

·
I thought these threads implied that you hadn't heard the specific recordings in the poll. In this case, I'm shocked if that's the case :)

· Registered
9,510 Posts
Re the Kodaly sonata: I suggest hearing Wispelwey in this - a recording made in Australia I think. His immersion in the music is exceptional, the result very intense. In comparison, Starker is uninvolved.

G

·
Re the Kodaly sonata: I suggest hearing Wispelwey in this - a recording made in Australia I think. His immersion in the music is exceptional, the result very intense. In comparison, Starker is uninvolved.
I have the set of cello stuff from Perenyi. Heard it?

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought these threads implied that you hadn't heard the specific recordings in the poll. In this case, I'm shocked if that's the case :)
I'm sorry I gave that impression. The opposite is true: I've heard all of them... except one! On a previous poll, I included a recording that I own but have not gotten around to hearing yet. I won't tell which one! But as far as I remember, I only did that once.

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't believe it. If I see it cheap, I will give it a try, but I will be very skeptical.

Queyras is good, but no Starker.

· Registered
17,998 Posts
Gotta give the Brahms concertos a listen, myself. I bought the Gilels CD a few years ago and never really gave it a chance.

I heard the Strauss/Norman recording on the radio about a month ago. It had me quite captivated.

G

·
I'm sorry I gave that impression. The opposite is true: I've heard all of them... except one! On a previous poll, I included a recording that I own but have not gotten around to hearing yet. I won't tell which one! But as far as I remember, I only did that once.
Ok well, anywho: I voted for Part, Brahms, and Schubert. I really should've voted for Perotin. And the Schubert is not the one I have (I have the Heinrich Schiff, I think), but I've heard the Rostropovich from a friend so...yeah.

Either way, the Part and Brahms are the iconic recordings here, imo :)

· Registered
9,510 Posts
I have the set of cello stuff from Perenyi. Heard it?
I have several Perenyi recordings, but not the Kodaly. He recorded the Beethoven sonatas (with another Hungarian whose name is not retrievable at this time). They did a fine thing.

G

·
I have several Perenyi recordings, but not the Kodaly. He recorded the Beethoven sonatas (with another Hungarian whose name is not retrievable at this time). They did a fine thing.
That's my other Perenyi set (at least off the top of my head). It's with Mr. Andras Schiff, and it certainly is a fine thing.

· Registered
4,609 Posts
Schubert - Emerson: Great Work - My favourite performance

Chopin played by Rubinstein: But of course

Mahler 2 because it doesn't matter who is conducting or playing - it's the greatest work ever composed

Edit: Dang - missed the Strauss Last Songs disc at the bottom there. One of my most cherished discs and essential in any collection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.