Classical Music Forum banner

What should I listen to most?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pleased and very surprised with both the results of my first and second totally random polls, I now begin a totally new totally random poll.

As before, the question is, of the recordings listed, which do you think should be the highest priorities for me as a listener? Or, if you don't think I should have priorities, or that "should" has any place, or whatever, please feel free to vote for a recording on some other grounds, or anything! Perhaps we've got slightly more famous recordings this time, but still, I'd be very impressed and surprised if anyone has heard all of these recordings. You can vote for things based on your personal experience, your own wishes for yourself, what you've heard about them, whatever.

There is no good explanation or excuse for this poll (or its predecessors, or its successors should there be any). As before, this is not a very serious thing. It is not an attempt to discover the absolute truth about the objectively greatest whatever whatever whatever whatever. I'm just curious. I just want to put the question to the community here and see what the results are. It's nothing more than that.

7,314 Posts
These polls are good clean fun!

Seeing as I happened to pick 3 each time on the previous polls, I went with 3 again: Kronos Quartet, Kapustin, and Terezin.

I'm intrigued by the Kronos, I like what Kapustin I've heard, and I have the Terezin album and love it.

· Registered
3,890 Posts
Pleased and very surprised with both the results of my first and second totally random polls, I now begin a totally new totally random poll.

As before, the question is, of the recordings listed, which do you think should be the highest priorities for me as a listener? Or, if you don't think I should have priorities, or that "should" has any place, or whatever, please feel free to vote for a recording on some other grounds, or anything! Perhaps we've got slightly more famous recordings this time, but still, I'd be very impressed and surprised if anyone has heard all of these recordings. You can vote for things based on your personal experience, your own wishes for yourself, what you've heard about them, whatever.

There is no good explanation or excuse for this poll (or its predecessors, or its successors should there be any). As before, this is not a very serious thing. It is not an attempt to discover the absolute truth about the objectively greatest whatever whatever whatever whatever. I'm just curious. I just want to put the question to the community here and see what the results are. It's nothing more than that.
Just follow your instinctive inclinations. I think that's the best way to go about it. If I had to choose from that list, I'd pick Handel's Esther, but that's me :D.

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Aaah, science, decide for yourself - it would be better than listening to suggestions from other people :D.
I make too many decisions for myself. Anyway, I already know which ones I most want to listen to. But why should my preferences that important to me? Who am I to be in charge of my own life?

Seriously though, just as a favor to me, vote for the ones you would like to listen to most! That's what I really want to know.

Thanks for your vote!

· Registered
8,244 Posts
I'm also enjoying these.

I've heard fewer - only seven - from this batch, though again they all look tasty. Of those I know i'd most heartily recommend the Huelgas Ensemble and tSciarrino discs.

"Suicide In An Aeroplane" by Orenstein on Hyperion intrigues me. I'll be looking into that.

G

·
I only voted for the Saariaho/Cage/Maderna and the Sciarrino this time. I haven't heard Guilmant, or I'd rec that other disc too. And I can never make up my mind about Tan Dun...

Anyway, the Saariaho/Cage/Maderna disc is easily a favorite of mine.

G

·
This is going to turn out to be the first poll whose results I correctly predicted. Maybe I'm a-figurin' y'all out.
Wait...are you trying to study my brain patterns so you can replicate me with a robot or something over there? Because I'll stop voting, I swear.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Often when I'm trying to figure out what to listen to most, I choose something that is, or has been, a challenge to me, figuring that repetitive hearings will eventually reveal the work's secrets to me. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least in the latter case, I know why I don't like the music.

· Registered
8,030 Posts
This is a meaningless poll! You haven't defined what you mean by "highest." I mean, growing up in the 60s and being in college in the 70s, I know what I mean by it, but it's a state that can never be attained no matter how hard we tried at times.

But anyway, I have avoided Tan Dun since purchasing his Symphony 1997, Heaven, Earth, Mankind. I apologize to those who enjoy him and even to Tan Dun himself if he is reading, but this just never grabbed me, though he was highly praised for some of his soundtracks at the time.

Instead I voted for only two this time. I heard a lot of interesting things about Ballet Mécanique. Also Leroy Anderson is, as we in the southern US say, a hoot. I think his works are fun novelty pieces if you can avoid the overplayed "Sleigh Ride." I haven't heard "The Typewriter" in decades.

· Banned
9,050 Posts
I almost missed this thread. I voted Handel - Esther. Truely beautiful music for all to enjoy. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.