Classical Music Forum banner

What should I listen to most?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pleased and very surprised with the results of previous (1 2 3 4 5) totally random polls, I now begin a totally new totally random poll. As always, the question is:

Of the recordings listed, which do you think should be the highest priorities for me as a listener?

You can see the cover art below.

Same ol' same ol':

If you don't think I should have priorities, or that "should" has any place, or whatever, please feel free to vote for a recording on some other grounds, or anything! Perhaps we've got slightly more famous recordings this time, but still, I'd be very impressed and surprised if anyone has heard all of these recordings. You can vote for things based on your personal experience, your own wishes for yourself, what you've heard about them, whatever.

There is no good explanation or excuse for this poll (or its predecessors, or its successors should there be any). As before, this is not a very serious thing. It is not an attempt to discover the absolute truth about the objectively greatest whatever whatever whatever whatever. I'm just curious. I just want to put the question to the community here and see what the results are. It's nothing more than that.

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would love to be able to turn "suit" back into "suite." I'm sure y'all will know what I mean! I believe one of the earlier polls had a "conceroto." Something like that. Trust me, somehow all of that is autocorrect's fault.

Here is some album art:

View attachment 61255 View attachment 61256 View attachment 61257

That CPE Bach recording is probably more familiar to many people as part of a 2-CD set that includes some symphonies conducted by Leonhardt, also on Virgin.

View attachment 61258 View attachment 61259

· Registered
23,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Ozawa Takemitsu and the Sequentia Hildegard

Will there be a play-off against the winners?
I was wondering whether to do something like that.

I haven't decided yet, but I think I'd be more curious to do about 15 or 20 polls with completely distinct recordings, and then begin to mix in 2-3 old ones at a time, when people might not remember having voted on them.

I think I will also do some polls with more relationships among the options: like, what if I put up 3-4 choices of Uchida playing Schubert, or 2-3 choices of Sequentia singing Hildegard? Would the different albums get substantially different results? At some point I also want to put up more of the Titans of Early Stereo and see how they fare.

But for now I think I'll just mix them in casually. One thing I really want is for most of the polls to feature a diversity of eras, nationalities, labels, performers, and genres.

For now one of the things I really want to do is see what happens when I switch performers. For example, on a recent poll I included Pollini playing some of Beethoven's over-popular sonatas. If I put Jandó or Gilels up, how much of a difference will it make? If it makes a big difference, I might see some other ways to game the poll to see what happens.

For now, though, I'm still feeling things out. One reason I mentioned that I wouldn't mind other people doing similar polls is that other minds (with other collections) are going to come up with combinations that I wouldn't, and the results of those polls might guide me to some interesting questions.

The most recent poll was the least surprising to me so far, at least in terms of what did well, but even it had surprises for me. This one already looks like it is going to surprise me but I don't want to say why because I don't want to affect the voting.

· Banned
9,050 Posts
Definitely the CPE Bach cello concertos. CPE Bach was one of the most influential 18th century composers, and these were some of the finest cello concertos every written. Blysma is a great cellist on period instruments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.