Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! Long time no post.
I don't know what this score is called, but maybe someone has seen it before and can tell from my description.

There is a kind of music score that uses numbers to indicate pitches. "1" is always the tonic, and "7" is either the subtonic or the leading note. Rhythm is written with dashes and underscores. This kind of score is mainly for vocal music. Here's an example of something written in this score.

The first phrase of Mary Had a Little Lamb: 3 2 1 2 | 3 3 3 - | 2 2 2 - | 3 5 5 - |

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Further, does anyone know of a program that can convert a "normal" score into this kind of score? Thank you.

BTW, I'm sure that this is NOT tab.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's an interesting way to score a piece, I have to say. It's kind of like solfege, or music for the "theory-impared".
The saddest part is that they still teach solfege at university... "theory-impaired" indeed. :p

Reactions: Dim7

·
Registered
161 Posts
You mean apart from what The Sound of Music did to it? Nothing at all...

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm sorry, I just learned something:

In French, "solfege" means musical notation in general. The act of writing notes on the staff is "solfège".

I think in English it only refers to the "do re mi fa so la ti do" thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.