Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
The only thing I like the search function for is to list new & unread posts. I hope that, at least, comes back.
There is a way to make your own search button on your browser tool bar and you can customize it.

See the instructions in this and following posts.

·
Super Moderator
30,561 Posts
There is a way to make your own search button on your browser tool bar and you can customize it. I recall Taggert had shown me how it is done, and another moderator also showed me, but I keep losing track of the threads/posts where they laid out how to do it.
Tips, Tricks and Workarounds

It is a sticky in this very forum so people can find it......

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I really just want a button on this website I can simply click to see the unread posts. Like there used to be, but currently is disabled.

ETA: I know there are clever ways to use Google searches for something almost but not quite like the simple "unread posts" button; they are rather inconvenient compared to that.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
There have been several posts about the various problems with the forum. So, I may be posting in the wrong thread.

I depend on the "unread posts" link.

None of the other work arounds work for me.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I have simply been hitting the forums that are of interest to me, 5 or 6 forums total. It works, and I don't get the extraneous stuff from the NEW POSTS listing. I may grow to like it this way.

Reactions: Art Rock

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
Without the search function I can not find some of my favorite threads.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Not a great help but a) try google b) once you find them subscribe to get notifications. Even if nothing happens, the notifications will act as a bookmark. You can find your subscribed threads (with new posts) under settings and from their move to all subscribed threads.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I dont have a NEW MESSAGES option instead of there is ''PRIVATE MESSAGES'' in its place...A real downer!

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,698 Posts
What's New doesn't include Community or Area 51 posts though.

Searching individual forums is a bit more laborious, and I've not yet successfully sorted the Subscription function which in any case won't show new threads I've not yet subscribed to.

Is it my imagination, or has there been a decline in activity since the search function has been lost and the server busy issue worsened?

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
. . . and I've not yet successfully sorted the Subscription function which in any case won't show new threads I've not yet subscribed to.
Here are some instructions on How to subscribe to a thread which may help.

Is it my imagination, or has there been a decline in activity since the search function has been lost and the server busy issue worsened?
Activity ebbs and flows on any forum site. For instance January 1, 2022 saw an activity of 343 members ... February 18, 2022 saw an activity of 333 members. That's only a 3% drop ... Feb 13th shows an activity of 350 so there was an increase of 5% in activity just 5 days prior to Feb 18th. That is a net gain of 2%, so no, imho, there is not a significant decline in activity.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
How much longer are we going to have the Search function disabled? It's getting to the point where I'm considering not even using the site until it's restored (if ever?) maybe have a quick look once a week?
"I don't mind a joke, but you know what you can do with a pantomime"

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Mike,

The search function will be re-enabled once this site has been moved to a more stable hosting server. The process is in progress, but I do not have a date, although it should be within a week or two from now.

The crossover is more complicated than just unplugging something and re-plugging it back in. The planets must be aligned in a certain order, the phase of the moon must be in the waning cycle, and the cow must jump over the moon all at the same time.

:lol:

I know it's a pain ... even more painful for myself and the staff as it is one of our major tools that we constantly use ... I can't even search from my admin access point ... and that especially hurts my ability to perform my daily tasks associated with the site.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
I know some members, moderators included, think that the Search function isn't that great, but as long as I enter a word which is both salient and uncommon I easily find what I'm looking for, especially if I'm trying to find historical posts of my own for cut and paste purposes. Whatever workarounds there are in the absence of a search option seem to offer no real improvement in terms of trial and error, at least for what I'm after. That said, workarounds are better than having no resource at all. Also, I've been impressed with the speed of TCs operation since it's been up and running again, so thanks to those who are at the coal face.

Reactions: Krummhorn

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I've been utilizing a klunky work-around from the main Forums page. It's only a minor inconvenience, and certainly not enough of a bother to chase me away.

I'll choose, like, four sub-forums in new tabs, then browse. Every visit it's the next four sub-forums. And the Community and Non-Classical forums. It's just different.

Peace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts