Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Rach is making a good comeback! He was seriously dissed at midcentury last but is coming into his own again. Here's what Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians had to say about him in its 1954 edition: His music is "monotonous in texture ... consisting mainly of artificial and gushing tunes." His popular success is "not likely to last."
Just shows how much the so-called 'experts ' know. I think it was St Thomas Beecham who said that musicologists are people who can read music that can't hear it!

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Okay, where is this thread located exactly? Though it is advertised in "articles" having been the most recently updated thread, I can't find it when I look at the list of threads in this section. There is no subcategory I am aware of.

Nice read though.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Okay, where is this thread located exactly? Though it is advertised in "articles" having been the most recently updated thread, I can't find it when I look at the list of threads in this section. There is no subcategory I am aware of.

Nice read though.
Looks like 'Articles' has received a cleaning and trash removal - including a couple of my threads. I am devastated.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
I especially like the symphonies including Symphonic Dances and The Bells. and the piano concertos.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I like Rachmaninoff but the "researchers" sound like idiots.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
I like Rachmaninoff but the "researchers" sound like idiots.
I don't know that I would call them idiots, but the process they used has its limitations and was narrowly focused in piano works. Certainly not a determinative study, but interesting nonetheless.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts