Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've been called a snob and, honestly, I don't even care. If having excellent taste in music and high musical standards is considered snobbery, then so be it.

Reactions: Barbebleu

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A follow-up to my post, I remember this one time at work a woman sat across from me in the the break room and asked "What kind of music do I like?" and I said "Classical music". She said "Oh, I have a lot of classical songs on my iPhone." Ordinarily, I would've let this slip by me, but I felt it was my duty to correct her. I replied in a civil way and as nice as I could be, "Actually, in classical music they're not called songs, but are called either pieces or works." She looked at me, slammed her chair into the table angrily and said "You're lame!" I just rolled my eyes and continued to enjoy my snack. :D You simply cannot correct ignorance --- it's too rampant.

Reactions: eljr

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
To be fair, there are some classical pieces that can fairly be called songs. But yes, generally pieces or works.

I do enjoy her reaction, lol.
Going into specifics about what the song genre is within classical music would've been too much for her, so I kept it simple. But with people like her, it doesn't even matter. Ignorance and any kind of actual thinking is beyond their comprehension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts