Classical Music Forum banner
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
What happened to the "New Posts" button, it is missing?

A friend tried to get on earlier and got a message her account had been deleted, then she deleted her cache and was back on but got the busy signal.

Would it be possible we are under a DOS attack? How many banned members are out there, some disgruntled, who potentially could want to retaliate.
"New Posts" button.

My fave way to navigate.

The vblog software is touchy. Change one thing and there can be unintended "ripples" elsewhere.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
For past 5 years, 81 days, 9 hours and 38 minutes we've had a total of 99.5% uptime and running great

In that same period only 10 days, 4 hours and 45 minutes totals the downtime.

Percentage wise: UP=99.5% ... Down=0.5%. Pretty minuscule, imho.

Funny that nobody writes about all the super service and up times we've had ... seems we are only focused on when the site is isn't running correctly ... and that is quite sad.
So true, but addicts have little tolerance when they can't get their stuff. I am about to go through my scrap paper piles looking for old TC threads I printed out so I can re-read them. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
30,564 Posts
About double posts:

Yes, they are far more frequent than usual, and that sucks. In my experience they usually get generated when you post, and the board asks you whether you want to leave the thread. The natural reflex is to say no on order not to lose your post, and try to post your post again. Bingo, double post in most cases. Suggestion: copy your post (just in case), click that you want to leave the thread, refresh the thread and check whether your post is there. If not, paste, and try again.

If you double posted in popular threads (like this one, or Currently Listening), please do nothing, do not even edit one of the posts. We check these threads frequently anyway, and will usually delete double posts we encounter.

If a double post you made is for some reason particularly annoying, drop one of us a PM (I'm volunteering to be the addressee, since I am on frequently) with the link to the post (hover the mouse over the post number, right click, and select copy link - do not copy the link shown at the top). Please do not use the Report Post button, as that creates extra work for us.

About the Unread Posts button:

Yes, it sucks that it is not available right now. However, the What's New button (directly under the TC logo) is functional and does something similar.

For the rest: let's just give Frederik Magle some time to sort this out. He said it might take a week, the board is meanwhile still up and running (OK, limping).

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Ok - I was one moaning early during the difficulties but I will say this afternoon I having been jumping around the site for twenty minutes without a problem. So credit were credit is due - thanks to those endeavouring to correct the issues and of course Krummhorn is 100% correct when he suggests that few commend the powers at the helm when all is plain sailing.

:tiphat:

I will hope that my current experience is the start of a return to normality.

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I have done many different optimizations today - beyond the ones already implemented, and it does seems to work very well right now. I hope it will continue like this....
Thank you sir. Your effort is very much appreciated. :tiphat:

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Thank you sir. Your effort is very much appreciated. :tiphat:
Thank you! And know that I will do everything in my power to keep incidents like the ones from the past week happening again!

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Thank you! And know that I will do everything in my power to keep incidents like the ones from the past week happening again!
Thanks Uncle Fred. At the end of the day we wouldn't have anywhere to play were it not for you. Imagine going back to Google Groups (le shudder)? I'd rather watch Cowdenbeath at Central Park.

PS, as far as the search bar is concerned don't bother putting it back on. It's about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for taking care of the problems! Let's hope it stays like this.

Funny that nobody writes about all the super service and up times we've had ... seems we are only focused on when the site is isn't running correctly ... and that is quite sad.
I can't say anything about the past times, as I'm quite new here. Just wanted to mention that nowadays it sadly it's often the case, that the scolding gets louder than the praise, especially when it comes to internet platforms.

Try not to take it personal and keep up the spirit!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I am assuming site hasn' t been working properly and now when going into posts, getting "searching has been disabled".
Is this happening to anyone else?
The search engine has been temporarily disabled due to the technical difficulties the site has experienced, but it will be re-enabled soon!

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Tbh, today has been the quickest the pages have loaded for a long time. Its rapid tonight. I don't know what you did, Mr. Magle, but I suspect it was something more major than turning the server off and back on again (and clearing the cache). Did you get Art Rock to empty his personal message folder? ;)

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
About the Unread Posts button:

Yes, it sucks that it is not available right now. However, the What's New button (directly under the TC logo) is functional and does something similar.
I'm glad that things are up and running again - I was suffering from withdrawal. But the "What's New" button isn't a great substitute for the unread messages option - it requires me to scroll past dozens of postings in topics that are of absolutely no interest, which takes a lot more time. If the "unread messages" has to be sacrificed to keep the site running consistently, I can live without it, but I'd rather not.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts