Classical Music Forum banner

Would you split multi-movement pieces in a competition?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to setting up the rules for a competition about Bach and it's not an easy work.

For the categories I think I came to a conclusion:
  • Music without lyrics
  • Music with lyrics
  • Music with images

However, there is still something that disturbs me: how can you, for example, compare this piece...

... with this other one?

I mean, the first is a simple song of 3-4 minutes, while the second one is a multi-movement work of 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Isn't difficult to compare a so long piece with a short piece?

Do you think that splitting multi-movement pieces in their individual parts would be a good solution? A single movement could compete with a simple song. You can give your opinion with the poll, if you want.

·
Premium Member
38,199 Posts
I'm trying to setting up the rules for a competition about Bach and it's not an easy work.

For the categories I think I came to a conclusion:
  • Music without lyrics
  • Music with lyrics
  • Music with images

However, there is still something that disturbs me: how can you, for example, compare this piece...

... with this other one?

I mean, the first is a simple song of 3-4 minutes, while the second one is a multi-movement work of 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Isn't difficult to compare a so long piece with a short piece?

Do you think that splitting multi-movement pieces in their individual parts would be a good solution? A single movement could compete with a simple song. You can give your opinion with the poll, if you want.
I don't see any problem comparing a short piece to a long piece - it's called making choices, and we make hundreds on a daily basis.

Splitting multi-movement works into separate pieces is a horrible idea.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see any problem comparing a short piece to a long piece - it's called making choices, and we make hundreds on a daily basis.

Splitting multi-movement works into separate pieces is a horrible idea.
My problem is the following.

If I have to compare a short piece of 4 minutes that I think is excellent with a very long piece with some parts that I think are excellent and some other parts that I think are horrible, which of the two should win?

Furthermore, isn't for a composer easier to mantain a high level overall in a short piece rather than in a very long piece?

If it's a bad idea to split multi-movement pieces, an other option would be to create categories for the lenght, like for example:
  • Short (lenght under 10 minutes)
  • Medium (10-25 minutes)
  • Long (more than 25 minutes)

Wouldn't this make sense?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience has been that a much higher percentage of short pieces stink than long works.
Maybe it's because a long piece is more likely to have at least some parts that you like.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It could cause a problem if different movements in the same piece are assigned to different competitors. Some movements in a piece are easier to play than others. Giving those assigned the easier movement an unfair advantage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts