Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
This site will eventually be updated with a new (to us) software app named XenForo, which will replace vBulletin that we currently use.

Our sister forum Magle International Music Forums has been converted to the XenForo software. If you want to take a look check it out by clicking on the line above.

Xenforo is completely foreign to the staff ... we are learning it as we go ... settings (the back door) are quite different and the terminology has changed ... forums became nodes, etc.

It's a steep uphill learning curve for me ... I have become accustomed to vBulletin over the past 14 years that I've been on staff.

When TC will be changed over to Xenforo is not known ... I have not gotten any update notices from the boss.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Out of interest what were the principal benefits of converting to XenForo? Is it because vBulletin is now just an outdated system and a pain to maintain?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can we have a vote? I personally greatly prefer the current vBulletin look and feel to that of XenForo, at least as it appears on the Magle International Music Forums website.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
This question may sound a little bit unrelevant with classical music itself. However, I really think Talk Classical's website is a little bit old-fashioned. I surely do not hope it be as novel as the website of the pop music bands (or even Spotify), but they surely should update it and make it look more like a 21th century website. They should also add some functionalities such as voting, embedding music/videos. Do you agree?
Well, it's an open blog, specifically a vblog.

You can post polls, and you can embed (or post) videos.

The vblog format is especially useful for extended dialogues.

Just one thing, though . . . you ARE aware that "unrelevant" is not a word, yes?

Anyway, just start poking around, and you'll get the hang of it, and probably grow to appreciate it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This site will eventually be updated with a new (to us) software app named XenForo, which will replace vBulletin that we currently use.

Our sister forum Magle International Music Forums has been converted to the XenForo software. If you want to take a look check it out by clicking on the line above.

Xenforo is completely foreign to the staff ... we are learning it as we go ... settings (the back door) are quite different and the terminology has changed ... forums became nodes, etc.

It's a steep uphill learning curve for me ... I have become accustomed to vBulletin over the past 14 years that I've been on staff.

When TC will be changed over to Xenforo is not known ... I have not gotten any update notices from the boss.
Xenforo is pretty damned good (especially for mods and admins.) One thing that can be very useful is a whole slew of interaction buttons (Like/Dislike/Agree/Disagree/Winner/Useful etc). The ability to drag and drop images makes vBulletin look positively archaic, too.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Xenforo is pretty damned good (especially for mods and admins.) One thing that can be very useful is a whole slew of interaction buttons (Like/Dislike/Agree/Disagree/Winner/Useful etc). The ability to drag and drop images makes vBulletin look positively archaic, too.
So . . . will the 13 years of TC be transferred over?

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Good point Pianozach (which has been partly answered in the post above mine by Art Rock). I'm not too bothered about some of my old posts but I don't want to lose all my SQ blog posts and LVB cycle reviews. That would be lot of hard work and time down the drain. Don't get me wrong, Xenforo looks exciting and very interesting and I'm not adverse to change. All this is probably inevitable and I'm sure I'll get used to it very quickly but will there be some sort of backup during the changeover so if not everything does get taken over to the new site I can still get my reviews and blogs back?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good point Pianozach (which has been partly answered in the post above mine by Art Rock). I'm not too bothered about some of my old posts but I don't want to lose all my SQ blog posts and LVB cycle reviews. That would be lot of hard work and time down the drain. Don't get me wrong, Xenforo looks exciting and very interesting and I'm not adverse to change. All this is probably inevitable and I'm sure I'll get used to it very quickly but will there be some sort of backup during the changeover so if not everything does get taken over to the new site I can still get my reviews and blogs back?
Every site that I've seen move from vBulletin to Xenforo has done so with minimal upheaval, preserving everything from blog posts to images to PMs. There is some learning when the changeover happens. EG: PMs become conversations and can add new members as time goes on. The forum sections have new capabilities, or new ways of achieving familiar stuff.

Moderators see things like this:

Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Magenta

which takes them to a single screen where they can deal with reported posts/spam etc. It works well. Incidentally, the forum from which I took that screen grab was one of the first to switch, several years ago. Everyone hated the new software, but soon settled down.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Ok, I apologize if I overeacted a little bit. :( I totally understand that it gets very annoying for senior members and managers of an online forum if a bunch of new users just throw out a pointless disappear, so I am very sorry if you consider my first post as pointless.

I am joining this forum to find people who share similar interests in music with me. I am a student in a private high school, and nobody (sadly, I am not exaggerating at all) around me likes classical music, including the school music director, my parents, friends, and the members of my school orchestra. Something really shocked and disappointed me was that the concert master of my school orchestra says she likes k-pop despite her skills that allowed her to play Mendelssohn VC. Although I am already the second chair at my school orchetra, I am bad at playing violin that I can only play Mozart VCs. However, I am a super fan of classical music that I listen to them all the time and am never interested in modern music. I feel very alone now... I would really like to find people that are also passionate in classical music...

My best composer is Mozart and I like his 7 Violin Concertos very much. I know they are kinda childish so I am also listening to Beethoven, Brahms as well as Mendelssohn VCs, and I am pretty sure my passion is growing for these compositions. Any suggestions for a new user in Talk Classical? :)
Welcome to the forum. You'll get used to all the grumpy old reactionary codgers that inhabit this forum. We're mostly harmless! There are some great threads and most of the debates are done in good part although things occasionally get a bit heated. Enjoy your time here and continue to enjoy classical music.

Illegitimi nil carborundum! :tiphat:

Reactions: KevinW

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Every site that I've seen move from vBulletin to Xenforo has done so with minimal upheaval, preserving everything from blog posts to images to PMs. There is some learning when the changeover happens. EG: PMs become conversations and can add new members as time goes on. The forum sections have new capabilities, or new ways of achieving familiar stuff.

Moderators see things like this:

View attachment 161477

which takes them to a single screen where they can deal with reported posts/spam etc. It works well. Incidentally, the forum from which I took that screen grab was one of the first to switch, several years ago. Everyone hated the new software, but soon settled down.
My reviews are all that bothers me so as long as they're still there I'm a happy guy. Learning to navigate around a new site shouldn't take too long. I'm kinda excited about it all now. When are we moving house, Art Rock? Do I get first pick of the bedrooms?

·
Registered
475 Posts
My reviews are all that bothers me so as long as they're still there I'm a happy guy. Learning to navigate around a new site shouldn't take too long. I'm kinda excited about it all now. When are we moving house, Art Rock? Do I get first pick of the bedrooms?
You may have the wrong idea of this new software, @Merl. It has a penthouse complete with a fully stocked bar and the most amazing view for the mods and a dungeon for everyone else. Sorry to be blunt, but there it is.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
You may have the wrong idea of this new software, @Merl. It has a penthouse complete with a fully stocked bar and the most amazing view for the mods and a dungeon for everyone else. Sorry to be blunt, but there it is.
Hmmm, sounds like what we already have except the mods currently have only a bottle of cider to share in their peeling victorian parlour.

Ps. I'm having the top bunk of the bunk beds, Kevin. I called it first.

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Out of interest what were the principal benefits of converting to XenForo? Is it because vBulletin is now just an outdated system and a pain to maintain?
Xenforo is quite a bit more user friendly. vBulletin is archaic at best where Xenforo has tons more options for those that moderate and administrate the forum site.

Absolutely. We were able to transfer over all threads and posts from the vBulletin MIMF to the Xenforo MIMF.

neofite said:
Can we have a vote? I personally greatly prefer the current vBulletin look and feel to that of XenForo, at least as it appears on the Magle International Music Forums website.
The decision to change software is solely up to the discretion of he who pays all the bills here, Frederik Magle.

You can vote on it, but it won't make a bit of difference, imho.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.