Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
5,127 Posts
Memorization was required during my years of private organ instruction. I would be required to play for various competitions and it was necessary to memorize the piece being performed in front of the judges.

I suppose mine is motor memory ... the constant repetition of church hymns played over the past 62+ years.

On a humorous note, I have gotten so used to playing from my iPad Pro that when reading actual printed scores, I routinely tap the lower right part of the page and nothing happens :lol:.

Kh :cool:

·
Administrator
5,127 Posts
. . . If you are playing in front of an audience it is best to have the sheet music in front of you so that you can refer to it , even if you have memorised it . . .
I do that at church with the hymnal, even though I've played every single hymn at least a thousand times over the past 62+ years, and can play all of them from memory, I still prefer to have the music in front of me during the service.

There is nothing wrong with having printed scores to play from during a concert/recital. Page turners and registrants are a big help ... but make sure your page turners can read music, particularly the Bass Clef.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.