Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I know some use sheet music because they respect the composers wishes so much that they don't want to make any errors. That was the case with Richter, who I believe started using sheet music after he discovered he had been playing one note wrong in a Bach piece for years.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, i've been playing the piano for 10 years, and i mostly played from memory during my first 3 years with the instrument, and eventually for a work wich requires to (like Chopin etude opus 10. no 1)

I'd like to memorize some music but i'm bad at it, or i don't have the will/time to do it.

I'd like to be able to, as i would like to play some simple pieces for some friends at the piano in their houses (for example mozart piano sonata k330) without carrying the score.

Do you think playing from memory is any important?
Do you have any recommendatios? thanks
444mil.

If you are playing in front of an audience it is best to have the sheet music in front of you so that you can refer to it , even if you have memorised it there is always the possibility of mistakes if you say yourself that you are bad at memorising. Nothing wrong with memorising though.

·
Administrator
5,087 Posts
. . . If you are playing in front of an audience it is best to have the sheet music in front of you so that you can refer to it , even if you have memorised it . . .
I do that at church with the hymnal, even though I've played every single hymn at least a thousand times over the past 62+ years, and can play all of them from memory, I still prefer to have the music in front of me during the service.

There is nothing wrong with having printed scores to play from during a concert/recital. Page turners and registrants are a big help ... but make sure your page turners can read music, particularly the Bass Clef.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Playing the piano is an art of repetition.
For me, that's repetition on the order of the supernatural.
So, for me, memorization of a piece is simply a matter of consequence.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I saw Pogerelich perform an entire recital with score and pageturner. I don't mind it. The public should be less uptight about it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.