Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Each day the carnage in Ukraine gets worse.
Yet I hear intellectual gymnastics by quite a few posters here. I respect all opinions but that does not mean I won’t disagree with it.
I feel that the actions against against Gergiev,Netrebko (MAJOR CM personalities)are completely justified

Was Toscanini wrong in exiling himself from his birth country because he disagreed with Mussolini Fascism?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yet I hear intellectual gymnastics by quite a few posters here. I respect all opinions but that does not mean I won't disagree with it.
I feel that the actions against against Gergiev,Netrebko (MAJOR CM personalities)are completely justified

Was Toscanini wrong in exiling himself from his birth country because he disagreed with Mussolini Fascism?
Should we stop listening to Jewish conductors because of Israel's ongoing genocide? What about American conductors because of America's ongoing imperial forays? If you agree then by all means, but please stop with the histrionics aimed at the rest of us.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Yet I hear intellectual gymnastics by quite a few posters here. I respect all opinions but that does not mean I won't disagree with it.

Toscanini faced his own existential decision. All of us here now have to make a similar existential decision

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Should we stop listening to Jewish conductors because of Israel's ongoing genocide? What about American conductors because of America's ongoing imperial forays? If you agree then by all means, but please stop with the histrionics aimed at the rest of us.
STOP YOUR RATIONALIZING.
Please address the specific question.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
QUOTE=bz3;2224401]Quite the prediction, considering the Holodomor might be the worst event of the 20th century.

So, going to answer or just...nah?[/QUOTE]

My answer. The Holocaust was unimaginable.

My background. Born in the USA from Hungarians who left Hungary one or two years before I was born. Hungarian was my first language. Today,Ukrainians are standing on the border with Ukraine as they flee the carnage.
It hits home right now.
The connection to CM. Much of what we listen today con s from this area

·
Registered
12,009 Posts

Throwing out your Gergiev CDs will have zero impact on Putin.

Firing Anna Netrebko will have zero impact on Putin and will not save the Ukraine.

Pontificating about this issue may make you feel better, and that is useful for sure, we are all frustrated and outraged by what Putin has done - but it will not touch Putin.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It does because consistency implies application of logic, while inconsistency leaves the door open for all sorts of things. I know the latter is in the realm of realpolitik, but as I stated earlier, I'm arguing this matter based on principle. I am not a fan of Gergiev, neither am I committed to either side in the Ukraine-Russia conflict.
The thing is... people will most likely be consistent, in fact. That's because it's the individual who will define for himself his own criteria for his personal boycott -- consciously or unconsciously. There's myriad of complex rules or simple principles that you can create to describe the cases when you boycott an artist or not -- and it's all obviously arbitrary. Even if said person is not into rationalizing a detailed system for such a thing, the person will still be following his sentiment and intuition... because the arbitrariness of the act itself reveals if the person truly cares or not about an issue and the artist's involvement, which varies from case to case. The boycott will always be sincere and self-justified. It's as simple as that.

Demanding "consistency" is actually a disguise for demanding "simplicity" and "clarity" instead -- asking for a well-defined set of rules that everybody must follow religiously, otherwise it'll trigger someone else's OCD. But why though? It's a private decision, so let the each individual do it freely, regardless whether it's spontaneous or ultra-complex decision-making process.

The only thing that needs consistency is the Law... because the law is not written to be optimal or nuanced, but rather predictable and stable in order to avoid the judge's parciality. For a legal system, "legal certainly" is more important than finding a perfect hyper-personal solution for each case. But this order of priority is not the same for daily life.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.