Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On YouTube, you can view this 1918 short by Winsor McCay with several different soundtracks. The one has me fascinated is a surging, dire piano piece, apparently in D minor (unless the speed has been meddled with), that sounds like it was composed by one of the Romantic masters. My first thought was Brahms, but it isn't him (I checked through the complete piano works)... I'm now working backwards through Schumann, Schubert and Beethoven, but don't have the complete literature for any of them. Anybody better versed in the Romantic era will probably recognize it immediately, and would do me a huge favor by ending this time-consuming obsession.

The video can be gotten to on YouTube by entering "Sinking of the Lusitania 1918 animation".

· Registered
4 Posts
In this case
it is the Tragic Overture Op.31 Johannes BRAHMS

In this case the sinking of the lusitania - Google Search

it is Happy (Night !) Adi Art, followed by "Floating3 by IoNz and Mood Booster;. It seems that this music was not the original one,.

We can consider that the first version with Brahms is may be the original; But why didn't Mc Cay mention it ? Because Brahms was a german ?

· Registered
4 Posts
Brahms composed the overture in 1880. So the music was not free of rights; He didn't mention it, hoping Brahms Successors (Brahms died in 1897) will ask for the rights. That would have been another scandal and a good promotion fort the cartoon. This is a supposition, not a certitude.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts