Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
solo violin?

As nobody answer, i'll do it. I take "solo" literarilly, and my favorites works for violin alone are:
Of course, Bach after all the rest.
Bartok sonata
Ysaye sonatas
Paganini caprices
Idem Barucabá variations
Sophie Eckhardt-Gramatté caprices
Honegger sonata
Prokofieff sonata
Paul Ben-Haim sonata
Milstein's Mephisto walz No.1
Hindemith sonata
Ernst last rose and the other one (forgot the tittle)
Wieniavsky etudes
Nielsen prelude and variations
Newman-Tarrega "Recuerdos de la Alhambra"
Kreisler Recitativo and scherzo
:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Solo guitar.
I tried, I really tried, but there's so much choice and, hearing a piece afresh, you wonder what there is still to discover about the others.
I joined this forum in order to learn more about classical guitar and chamber music, plus baroque lute and chamber music, so, just to get a ball rolling, I've chosen:

J.S. Bach's sonatas and partitas for solo violin, transcribed and played by Paul Galbraith. He plays an eight-string guitar with a spike and a resonator box on the floor.

Koyunbaba's Suite for Guitar, Op. 19, played by Antigini Goni.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I chose the Koyunbaba because of its immediate allure and the Bach because it promises years of unravelling its depths. Two reasons to listen, two very different composers.
What of the violin concertos, James?

·
Registered
706 Posts
There's nothing as plain and pure as Bach's violin partitas and solo violin sonatas!

I also enjoy Walton's bagatelles for guitar. Very temperament little works.

And lets not forget that the huge genre of piano miniatures are solo instrument music - so that makes a whole world of stories and emotions expressed on a single keyboard machine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with Lisztfreak.....

... there is nothing as plain and as pure as Bach solo violin. :)

I have heard that Hilary Hahn plays Bach's partitas every day, just to get warmed up, and center her mind, as to enhance her playing. :cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes, Bach's music is mind-clarifying and nearly mathematical (Die Kunst der Fuge). That's why I mostly don't like him, he's too logical. But as I said, HIS SOLO VIOLIN RULES!

·
Registered
284 Posts
If anyone's wondering who "Koyunbaba" is, please let me apologise for a careless post.
It's "Koyunbaba: Suite for Guitar, Op. 19" by Carlo Domeniconi.
I'm a hopeless classical guitar player, but that's what I'd like to be able to play.

Reactions: Figleaf

·
Registered
549 Posts
If anyone's wondering who "Koyunbaba" is, please let me apologise for a careless post.
It's "Koyunbaba: Suite for Guitar, Op. 19" by Carlo Domeniconi.
I'm a hopeless classical guitar player, but that's what I'd like to be able to play.
I have the Koyanbaba, Suite for Guitar by Carlo Domeniconi. It is on a CD by this incredible young guitarist, Aaron Brock. Unfortunately, he passed away at age 31, and this is the only album of his released.

Here's is his website. www.aaronbrock.com

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the Koyanbaba, Suite for Guitar by Carlo Domeniconi. It is on a CD by this incredible young guitarist, Aaron Brock. Unfortunately, he passed away at age 31, and this is the only album of his released.

Here's is his website. www.aaronbrock.com
Thanks, Chamber Nut. That's one to track down.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mark, let me know if you get that CD, and if you enjoy it.

I'll make sure I let Aaron's Aunt know. She'd be very pleased. :)
I keep a list of CD wants, and this one is on it. It may not reach the top of the list soon, but if that's the case it'll go on my Christmas list. :)
I heard a brief sound clip. Koyunbaba is quite different from the only other version I've heard. That's always intriguing.
You may tell the late Mr. Brock's aunt that you've made a sale!

Reactions: Barbebleu
G

·
My instrument was the string bass so there was not a great choice of solo classical repertoire, any way I was not good enough to solo, being very rank and file, the nearest I got was when I played in dance bands or jazz bands and would be thrown the odd middle eight just to keep me quite, my other instrument was the flute but again very rank and file due to my lack of skill. :( :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would contest that the one thing better than Bach's solo violin is his solo cello. Wish I played cello. Wish I could afford a cello.
Agreed. The cello suites are my favourite music bar none. Such a beautiful instrument.

Bach's solo flute partita is also really nice.

Reactions: Dim7

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am Aaron's aunt and thank you, Mark Harwood, for wanting to listen to Aaron's CD. ChamberNut sent me an email telling me about this.

Aaron loved to play. "Have guitar will travel" - that was on his website. As a boy, he would play a little Hendrix and Stevie Ray for me and some Bach for his mom and dad. He would have been 33 yesterday.

I hope you enjoy his music. He would be happy knowing you had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would contest that the one thing better than Bach's solo violin is his solo cello. Wish I played cello. Wish I could afford a cello.
Me too :D .

1) Bach - 6 Cello Suites by Fournier.

2) Paganini - 24 Caprices by M.Rabin.

3) Bach - Solo Violin & Partitas by Grumiax.

4) Beethoven - Piano Sonatas by ....... .

5) Chopin - Noctunes by Rubinsteins.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.