Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Didn’t Decca claim the master tapes were too deteriorated when they remastered the Solti Ring in 2012? Did they miraculously un-deteriorate?
I have the Blu-ray Audio version on 1 Blu-ray disc. The sound is fantastic. I don’t think I need more - unless they come out with a new Blu-ray with a vid of the libretto!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It’s interesting that they’re going now from a digital medium to vinyl, which should be an analog product (or was). Unless they’re producing their LPs from a strictly analog process.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
My brain doesn't always work but I thought the Ring from Bayreuth with Varnay in the early 50's ( 53???) was the first stereo Ring. It was the first "something".
Presumably the first stereo one was the live performance conducted by Keilbetth that Culshaw’s Decca team recorded in Bayreuth in 1955 - Culshaw suppressed it because he wanted his studio Ring to succeed.

I think Testament finally issued it in the 2000s?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm increasingly sympathetic to this, somewhat to my surprise. Although I'm over 70 and retain an affection for physical media - and remember some LPs nostalgically - I've never had much affection for the CD. It was a great invention for saving space, but it rarely equals the aesthetic value of the LP, and the microscopic print of opera librettos is offputting at best. A desire to strip down my possessions in old age has prompted the shrinking of my CD collection, and I now listen to music largely online. A new edition of the Solti Ring will no doubt please a limited audience, and that's all any product needs to do. I won't be part of that audience,
Do the streaming services stream Ring operas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts