Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Didn’t Decca claim the master tapes were too deteriorated when they remastered the Solti Ring in 2012? Did they miraculously un-deteriorate?
Don't ask questions like that, only the latest remastering has good sound quality, and that includes the future 32 bit/256 kHz remastering that will appear in about five years on five different esoteric formats, including a holographic projection of the singers in your living room.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those Hybrid SACDs aren’t cheap! Rheingold alone is $88 on Amazon. Unless the sound improvements are incredible or they reduce the price I’m unsure why people would get this remastering over the perfectly fine 2014 CD edition, which for $50 you can get the whole cycle. Hopefully they’ll put it into a budget box in a couple years like they did for the 2014 remastering.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'd rather seen them investing all the money and effort into restoring another Ring and make it sound as good as possible. Because I can think of at least half a dozen Ring recordings that I find more musically (not sonically) satisfying than the Solti. I've got it on cd in one of the older incarnations, but never return to it, except sometimes for Götterdämmerung, which is of course marvelous.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'd rather seen them investing all the money and effort into restoring another Ring and make it sound as good as possible. Because I can think of at least half a dozen Ring recordings that I find more musically (not sonically) satisfying than the Solti. I've got it on cd in one of the older incarnations, but never return to it, except sometimes for Götterdämmerung, which is of course marvelous.
The Keilberth Rings are more worthy of a revamp.

N.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'm increasingly sympathetic to this, somewhat to my surprise. Although I'm over 70 and retain an affection for physical media - and remember some LPs nostalgically - I've never had much affection for the CD. It was a great invention for saving space, but it rarely equals the aesthetic value of the LP, and the microscopic print of opera librettos is offputting at best. A desire to strip down my possessions in old age has prompted the shrinking of my CD collection, and I now listen to music largely online. A new edition of the Solti Ring will no doubt please a limited audience, and that's all any product needs to do. I won't be part of that audience,
Do the streaming services stream Ring operas?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts