Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Didn’t Decca claim the master tapes were too deteriorated when they remastered the Solti Ring in 2012? Did they miraculously un-deteriorate?
Don't ask questions like that, only the latest remastering has good sound quality, and that includes the future 32 bit/256 kHz remastering that will appear in about five years on five different esoteric formats, including a holographic projection of the singers in your living room.

· Registered
136 Posts
Those Hybrid SACDs aren’t cheap! Rheingold alone is $88 on Amazon. Unless the sound improvements are incredible or they reduce the price I’m unsure why people would get this remastering over the perfectly fine 2014 CD edition, which for $50 you can get the whole cycle. Hopefully they’ll put it into a budget box in a couple years like they did for the 2014 remastering.

· Registered
3,624 Posts
I'd rather seen them investing all the money and effort into restoring another Ring and make it sound as good as possible. Because I can think of at least half a dozen Ring recordings that I find more musically (not sonically) satisfying than the Solti. I've got it on cd in one of the older incarnations, but never return to it, except sometimes for Götterdämmerung, which is of course marvelous.

· Registered
5,185 Posts
I'd rather seen them investing all the money and effort into restoring another Ring and make it sound as good as possible. Because I can think of at least half a dozen Ring recordings that I find more musically (not sonically) satisfying than the Solti. I've got it on cd in one of the older incarnations, but never return to it, except sometimes for Götterdämmerung, which is of course marvelous.
The Keilberth Rings are more worthy of a revamp.

N.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
I'm increasingly sympathetic to this, somewhat to my surprise. Although I'm over 70 and retain an affection for physical media - and remember some LPs nostalgically - I've never had much affection for the CD. It was a great invention for saving space, but it rarely equals the aesthetic value of the LP, and the microscopic print of opera librettos is offputting at best. A desire to strip down my possessions in old age has prompted the shrinking of my CD collection, and I now listen to music largely online. A new edition of the Solti Ring will no doubt please a limited audience, and that's all any product needs to do. I won't be part of that audience,
Do the streaming services stream Ring operas?

· Registered
1 Posts
WARNING: From what I have heard about this new release, they have compressed the dynamic range on these upcoming SACDs. I am very disappointed and rather surprised. This has been compressed for Spotify and it appears that the SACD's will be too. I am not buying this until I know for sure that the SACDs are going to have full dynamic range. Pass this on.

· Registered
6,648 Posts
Is this not a director’s cut with extra arias and orchestral passages adding an extra two hours of material?😂

· Registered
136 Posts
If anyone is curious, the the highlights disc can also be heard on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mXJpBJmhIApHA7AYyci49dhU8Dz1X18FM

To me everything sounds a lot more balanced and less "flashy," with the voices being integrated better in the sound picture. The brass is warmer too, and overall the recording sounds a lot more modern and natural. The effects like Siegfried cutting the anvil at the end of the forging song or him cutting the reed in the Forest Murmurs come across much more clearly and realistically too which is a plus. However for me I don't think the improvement is great enough to buy the whole Ring again, especially for the price they're asking for ($427 for the whole set!). I might buy the highlights disc though because I do hear improvement in the sound, it's just not enough to invest in the whole set. One upside to this being released again is that there will probably be some good used sets being sold on eBay of older remasterings which I might check out.

· Registered
5,294 Posts
Here's a question for you guys: I own this 1997 set of Solti's Ring -

Should I buy these newer remasters or does this set pictured above have sufficient audio quality that I don't really need to invest in another set?

· Registered
121 Posts
I have read that Culshaw wanted to record a Ring. Therefore two Rings were recorded live in stereo. The sound quality was judged to be unsatisfactory. That is why it was decided to record a Ring in the studio after all.
I have the Testament issue and though I'm glad to have it, the bass seems overdone to me--loud and sonically hashy to boot. Is/was the Bayreuth acoustic really like that? Does every bass chord really sound like GR-ROOOMPH?

- PS - I uploaded it to my old Adobe Audition software to see if I could tame it down a little, and the Siegfried (and not the rest) seems to be badly clipped--the graphic display looks lilke a lawnmower ran over the whole thing, shearing the tops of the peaks as flat as a tabletop--

Did anybody get the vinyl issue that Testament put out at the same time?

· Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
14,584 Posts
Here's a question for you guys: I own this 1997 set of Solti's Ring -

Should I buy these newer remasters or does this set pictured above have sufficient audio quality that I don't really need to invest in another set?
The one you have is sufficient, imo.

Reactions: LeoPiano

· Registered
5,185 Posts
I have the Testament issue and though I'm glad to have it, the bass seems overdone to me--loud and sonically hashy to boot. Is/was the Bayreuth acoustic really like that? Does every bass chord really sound like GR-ROOOMPH?

- PS - I uploaded it to my old Adobe Audition software to see if I could tame it down a little, and the Siegfried (and not the rest) seems to be badly clipped--the graphic display looks lilke a lawnmower ran over the whole thing, shearing the tops of the peaks as flat as a tabletop--

Did anybody get the vinyl issue that Testament put out at the same time?
I agree about the overdone bass (and no, that doesn't represent Bayreuth's acoustic). Whilst it's a shame that the sound isn't studio quality stereo of the time, the performances are superb (whether you are a Varnay or Modl bod). The only performance of the Ring that I prefer is Keilberth's from two years earlier (which is in terrible radio mono and therefore even worse).

I take the rough with the smooth when it comes to the first stereo Ring. The sound could be better, but it could have been worse.

N.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts