Classical Music Forum banner

Some pleasant instruments not common in modern times

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  musicaljohn 
#1 ·
Hello. What are some of your favorite instruments (you don't have to know how to play them) that were used more so in other periods but are typically not present in most modern orchestras. Mine would be a Harpsichord and the Lautenwerck, used primarily in the Baroque era of music, am I correct in that, aren't I? What would be yours?

#3 ·
Looks like you are not really focused on orchestral instruments - they need to be heard in the ensemble. Take a look at what happened to orchestral strings at the end of the Baroque era.

#4 · (Edited)
The clavichord, with its very soft tone, is a favourite. (I know not exactly orchestral) I like the viola d' amore, along with the viola bastarda that is seldom used today. But for orchestral works, many of the works written for certain obsolete instruments (an example here is Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream which used an ophicleide that in modern orchestras has been supplanted by the tuba) have been much improved by using modern equivalents. True, they are not HIP for the purists.

#6 · (Edited)
Paul Hindemith wrote a chamber concerto for the viola d'amore in the late 1920s as part of his Kammermusik series as well as a 'little sonata' for viola d'amore and piano earlier in the decade - there have been a few works written specifically for the instrument since then but I can't say I've heard any of them.

Reactions: Antiquarian
#9 ·
Thanks for this. I think I will dig out my old cpo recordings of Hindemith's Kammermusik, along with his Konzertmusik, and give them a listen. It's been ages.

Reactions: Elgar's Ghost
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.