Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Of course Callas herself had a less than harmonious relationship with the Met and its then intendant, Rudolf Bing. She appeared in only two seasons in 1956 and 1958, returning in 1965 for two performances of Tosca. Admittedly she was supposed to return in 1959, but he sacked her for refusing to accept his crazy schedule which required her to alternate performances of roles so disparate as Lady Macbeth and Violetta.

· Registered
10,435 Posts
There's a complete (?) Farrell performance on YT:

Someon says Callas was in attendance. Should be worth a listen.
What was the actual date? If this is an American issue then it would have been August. If it's British then it's November. Callas was recording in Milan throughout August. In fact sessions for Aida started on August 10th. If it's November she was singing Leonora in Il Trovatore on the 8th in Chicago. In other words, not possible.

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Because people who have heard her live say she's amazing. Her recording of Fidelio is wonderful. Here aria CD is pretty good as is the Grieg CD. By all accounts it's an extraordinary voice.
I almost got to hear her as Leonore, but COVID got in the way and the performances were cancelled.

The jury's still out for me. I don't like her recording of Strauss's Vier letzte Lieder at all, and I wasn't that impressed with the Beethoven, Wagner, Verdi album either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts