Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Radvanovsky and Goerke are the only two sopranos today I would get excited to hear. I did hear Goerke as Norma years ago but before her voice really got big. Her high D in the trio was jaw dropping, though. You would have to pay ME to hear Netrebko today, although she was delight 25 years ago.
Gheorghiu!!

· Registered
3,394 Posts
I wonder when Callas heard Farrell. I doubt she would have praised her had she not actually heard her.
It turns out that Callas was definitely a champion of Farrell.
One time was when Callas, Tebaldi and Milanov all saw her in a blockbuster performance of Oxenburg's American Opera Society in NY Town Hall of "Medea".
"People were leaning over the balcony, screaming and cheering. The press went nuts too. " (Winthrop Sargeant's review in the 1958 New Yorker who gave reasons why Farrell's performance was better than all 3 of the divas mentioned above). (pp. 146-7 Farrell's "Can't Help Singing".)
In 1959 when Bing and Callas' famous brouhaha made headlines, "A reporter asked Callas about the whole flap with Bing and she answered, 'Who needs the Met? They don't have any big names. They haven't got Farrell, have they?'"
(p. 152 Farrell's "Can't Help Singing")
By 1960 Bing was on the phone and engaaged Farrell for "Alceste."
That same summer of 1959 Farrell was having lunch at the Savoy while performing with Schippers at the Albert Hall when she noticed that Callas, who was appearing in "Medea" at the same time, was sitting at a table near her. She approached Callas' table and introduced herself -- to which Callas enthusiastically jumped up, embraced her and told her that "of all my colleagues, you have been the nicest to me." (p. 131 Farrell's "Can't Help Singing)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts