Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
9,680 Posts
I have an elderly vinyl recording with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Chicago SO; I also have the recent issue on Naxos with Antoni Wit conducting the Warsaw PO. It's one of my favourite pieces, so I might well listen to some Youtube or Spotify too :)

View attachment 58423
View attachment 58422
I'd like to hear the Ozawa/Chicago Sinfonietta. If it has any of the vitality he brings to his 60's/CSO Rite of Spring, then it might be promising. ;D

Great cover on the Taras Bulba too.

Reactions: Cosmos

· Banned
9,680 Posts
I don't believe that I've ever heard any Janáček, except likely in passing on the radio. I'll listen to this one (maybe another one, too):

Mackerras/Wien
The Mackerras/Vienna Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba were the first Janacek I ever heard-- and I instantly loved them.

Then I heard his operas-- especially The Cunning Little Vixen and The Makropoulos Affair (both with Mackerras of course, of course); and then the Glagolitic Mass (yes, 'Mackerras' and only Mackerras)--- all absolutely first rate.

I love Janacek.

The choral ending of the "Veruju" is tremendous. Mackerras' Glagolitic Mass also has the great "Intrada" at the beginning, which other performances don't have.

Reactions: JACE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.