Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
The original poster wrote: "This week we have Strauss enormous tone poem -- which he called a symphony, Eine Alpensinfonie. The piece was completed in 1915 with drafts of the work beginning in 1899. It is his largest non-vocal or operatic work... [my own emphasis]"

The Alpine Symphony comes in at about, I think, 45 or 50 minutes. Strauss's single-Act ballet Josephslegende (sometimes named Josephs Legende) runs for a continuous span of about 65 minutes and is, I believe, his longest orchestral work. If you don't already know it, do try it: it is Strauss in full and gloriously voluptuous mode.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
The Alpine Symphony comes in at about, I think, 45 or 50 minutes. Strauss's single-Act ballet Josephslegende (sometimes named Josephs Legende) runs for a continuous span of about 65 minutes and is, I believe, his longest orchestral work. If you don't already know it, do try it: it is Strauss in full and gloriously voluptuous mode.
Yep, but his other ballet "Schlagobers", Op. 70 is 74 minutes! I have both works and they have many good moments.

Reactions: cougarjuno

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are correct about the length of Schlagobers, but I discounted it from consideration because it is in two separate Acts - whereas Josephslegende is a single unbroken span of 65 minutes and can thereby be entered into direct comparison with the Alpine Symphony, Sinfonia Domestica, Ein Heldenleben and Also Sprach Zarathustra in terms of their continuous, uninterrupted musical length.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts