Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Literally a travesti? Lol.
I had a statuesque Toastmaster girlfriend who passed recently who had a baritone almost bass voice and loved to sing and sounded completely like a man, but aside from Ponselle I have never heard of any opera star like this. Stephanie said that all along she had a facility down low but it really sunk in after menopause. My sister says that often menopause can affect women's voices. Hers was unscathed and at 83 she has a very high young woman's speaking voice and could vocalize to high C in her 70's. The interesting thing with Stephanie is she does NOT sound like she had a vocal crisis brought on by bad singing and even belting out down low she has a very healthy sounding voice with normal vibrato.
One other tidbit, I watched a video of G. Jones rehearsing and she was singing half voice totally in a voice below middle C all in the chest voice. I don't doubt for a moment that Jessye Norman could have sung in a tenor range after hearing her FF low D live in Der Tod Das Madchens.
PPS- I always thought she was singing about a child- O mio bambino caro LOL LOL.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
PPS- I always thought she was singing about a child- O mio bambino caro LOL LOL.
I also believed this for a long time :D . I learned the truth from this video on Puccini.
"Puccini's operatic style (and why some people hate it).
Btw, it is interesting to see, how somebody can give a decent overview of Puccini in 20 minutes ! Still too long for Toastmasters, though :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts