Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2197 Posts

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me, but I keep seeing things suggesting that the end times are near. Here's today's:

Some may remember two years ago when Jeff Bush of Seffner, Florida, was getting ready for bed. A sinkhole suddenly opened in his bedroom floor and he was swallowed up. His body was never recovered. The home was demolished and the sinkhole filled in.

Now, the sinkhole has re-opened. The earth has not yet vomited forth his decayed and shambling remains to stagger through the neighborhood hungry for human flesh or, perhaps, small pets. But neighbors are, unsurprisingly, concerned.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/us/florida-sinkhole-seffner/index.html

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I think this has turned into the sinkhole thread! :D

Here is a recording of a sinkhole:

The editorial review on Amazon says,
Combining ambient/experimental entities Bad Sector and Where, Olhon's 'Sinkhole' is already being hailed as a masterpiece in the dark ambient world. Entirely composed using field recordings taken in Pozzo del Merro, the world's deepest sinkhole, Olhon's earthy emanations are appropriately dark, deep, claustrophobic and frightening.

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Two newspaper stories have haunted me for more than three decades:

A young man who was "mentally challenged" was given a card by his parents and told to give it to anyone who wanted to interact with him. The card described his disability and instructed the reader to contact the parents if there was any problem. One day the young man was stopped on the sidewalk by two policemen who witnessed him commit some minor infraction. When one of the policemen started to question him, he automatically reached into his pocket for the card. The policeman thought he was reaching for a weapon and drew his gun and fired; he missed and shot the second officer in the hand. Thinking he was under attack, the second policeman drew his gun and shot the young man dead.

A young man, who lived alone, began acting bizarrely and fantasized himself to be a superhero crime fighter. He made himself a caped superhero costume and began running around the neighborhood at night. He came to the attention of the police when neighbors complained that his jumping around on the apartment buildings rooftops was keeping them up nights. Then he abrubtly disappeared. After some time had passed, the police finally broke into his apartment. He was found suffocated in a large box he had constructed, either an accident or a suicide. In the middle of the room was a large cardboard robot he had fashioned and built. In the news conference the police chief said he twisted the knobs on the robot, but nothing happened. I have always wondered what prompted the police chief to test the controls on a cardboard robot.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Another newspaper story that still bothers me decades later:

Chicago authorities were struggling to decide what to do with a six-year old boy who murdered a five-year old boy by pushing him off an apartment building roof. The six-year old had accosted the five-year old and demanded money. The victim was found clutching the best payment he could offer: a potato chip.

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Decades ago, when I was a child, I read a local story in a Texas newspaper about a little girl who was sitting on a horse; the horse turned its head back and with its teeth ripped the girl's face off. A couple days later I read a followup story that doctors were helpless and the girl had died in the hospital. I have been suspicious of horses since.

Sometime later I read a short and cryptic newspaper story about five prisoners on a southern chain gang killed while spreading hot tar on a road. A motorist ran the barricades and hit the tar, splashing it on the prisoners. My father had to explain to me that hot tar sticks to the skin and all the guards could do was watch the men roast to death.

1 - 20 of 2197 Posts