Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am. In fact, he is on my "Top 5 Composers" list, which is VERY HARD to get onto. (The other four on that list are Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and Dvorak.)
P.S. On another post, I told you about why I start so many threads. I will continue here:
Even if other people have started threads similar to mine, I still start them because they are the "Queen of the Nerds" way!

· Registered
2 Posts
I love Tchai's music but personally I find that very few ballet renditions actually manage to 'match' the choreography with his music. I mean Swan Lake is classical, the Dance of the 4 Swans scene is barely changed (would be so mad if they do) when adapted on stage worldwide, but look at "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" in Nutcracker. Very few managed to have choreography that fits the music at all.

· Registered
4 Posts
I worked in Russia for awhile and I got to see Swan Lake at the Marinsky in St. Petersburg as well as at the Bolshoi I understand they have totally rerun usher the Bolshoi back to the way it was under the Czars. Anyway it was a fantastic experience to see Swan Lake performed in Russia and sit in these famous theaters.

· Registered
214 Posts
Other conductors on disc who are worth a listen (Amazon has full details)...

Svetlanov - passionate to the nth degree
Dutoit - arguably the best recorded sound which helps a lot in such a spectacular score
Ermler - authentically Russian but without the drawbacks of a Russian orchestra of the time (i.e. characteristically blaring brass)
Fistoularu - there are two recordings that were abridged to greater or lesser extents and one late one that's virtually complete - all convey the greatest air of a real theatre performance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.