Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I will post each movement one by one, as I finish it. The second and fourth movements are just short of completion and the first and third should be done tomorrow or the next day. (I won't be able to post the last movment because it is too long even in MP3--about 6 MB :unsure: It is almost twelve minutes long)

Edit: I can't post the first movement either, even in MP3 :( :angry: :mellow: It is 8 minutes long, and is just over the limit: 4.72 MB. Sorry about that! I will post the third movement instead, which is only 6 minutes long, and the second movement when it is done.

The symphony is scored for a typical modern orchestra:

Piccolo (movements 1,3,4)
2 Flutes
2 Oboes
English horn
2 Clarinets
Bass clarinet
2 Bassoons
Contrabassoon
2 Trumpets (movements 1,2,4)
4 French horns
2 Trombones (movements 1,2,4)
Bass trombone (movmements 1,2,4)
Tuba
Timpani (4th movement)
Orchestral Harp (movements 1,4)
1st Violins
2nd Violins
Violas
Cellos
Basses

Enjoy!!
Also let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. (If you want to refer to a particular section, just write the minutes and seconds)

Here is the THIRD movement of my symphony:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The smallest file is 3.72 MB. I think the only thing I can do is to put it up on another site and put a link to it from here. My brother does web hosting for a friend and I think I will be able to put it up on his site for a short time at least. I will post the link when I can.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow! That is very good, baroque flute! :) May I suggest some snare drums in the background a little after the opening and maybe some flutes could have some call and response going with the violins later. Very very good. Tell me when it will be performed in Buffalo, and I'll get tickets. ;) B)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Quaverion@Sep 22 2004, 09:09 PM
Wow! That is very good, baroque flute! :) May I suggest some snare drums in the background a little after the opening and maybe some flutes could have some call and response going with the violins later. Very very good. Tell me when it will be performed in Buffalo, and I'll get tickets. ;) B)
[snapback]2064[/snapback]​
Thanks, Quaverion!! :) And yes, I am definitely open to suggestions. If you can open it in something like real player or Windows media player, you can tell me where you are thinking of by the minutes and seconds (like, say, 2:34).

I should add, that was the FIRST movement. I think I made it sound like it was the third, with my earlier post. :) I will post the third movement in a couple of days. With the other two, I think I will wait a bit. A friend has decided to get me Cakewalk Home Studio software, :yay: :jumpingforjoy: and I think I will save myself 40-60 hours of work by waiting until that comes to finish recording this. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think you should decide exactly where the drums go (if the go at all) in your piece. You are the composer. :) I was just thinking somewhere near the beginning. I wish I had a program to write music on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Quaverion@Sep 22 2004, 10:42 PM
I think you should decide exactly where the drums go (if the go at all) in your piece. You are the composer. :) I was just thinking somewhere near the beginning. I wish I had a program to write music on. :rolleyes:
[snapback]2066[/snapback]​
:lol: Of course! I actually was trying to figure out what you were suggesting about the flutes and violins, not about the snare drums. I do like to consider all suggestions. For the most part, though, I am satisfied with the piece as is. But I will do a little perfecting and experimenting here and there when I get Cakewalk. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will answer in more detail when I get it. :) I have heard good reports, and that is ued by some professionals, but I am looking forward to finding out for myself. It is for windows, has 999 built-in voices, notation software, internal recording and mixing, and I think CD burning software. That is what I have heard so far. The price depends on where you get it and what version, usually around $100-$150.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It is really a great work, baroque. Reminds me of irish-scottish-coloured style. One little suggestion: You have now ONE main theme which is modulated and developed. Give to the whole more motifs, not too many, but some more, and develop new motifs out of this, opposite of the melodical main theme, something like you began at the beginning...

Hm, I am just listening again....you could destroy the structure and melody with more motifs, but then it would be now more like a suite...we will awaite the next movements in great expactations and see then! :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Daniel@Sep 23 2004, 05:08 PM
It is really a great work, baroque. Reminds me of irish-scottish-coloured style. One little suggestion: You have now ONE main theme which is modulated and developed. Give to the whole more motifs, not too many, but some more, and develop new motifs out of this, opposite of the melodical main theme, something like you began at the beginning...

Hm, I am just listening again....you could destroy the structure and melody with more motifs, but then it would be now more like a suite...we will awaite the next movements in great expactations and see then! :)
[snapback]2080[/snapback]​
:lol: I'm Scotch/Irish/Welsh, primarily, so I guess it is in my blood. :lol:

I don't know if you can hear it well, but the opening motif (trombone/tuba/cello) is repeated four times in the piece. :) Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Here is the third movement now:

http://creationtruths.com/misc/cg/Symphony...ight%202004.mp3

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.