Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I'll launch a competition for videogame soundtracks.

In this discussion you can post videogame music that you think is good enough for this competition.
The competition will finish when the poll for the last piece of the queue will close: you can insert pieces until the end of the competition.

Keep in mind tha this is not a competition between OST. Indeed, it's often difficult to extract OST from videogames, because they are made to work inside the videogame and not outside.
This is true especially for old videogames with 8-bit sounds.

It wouldn't make so much sense to hear videogame OST in this forum, unless the OST can be exracted from the videogame.
Furthermore, in old videogames there is good music, but they wouldn't be able to compete with new videogames with originally orchestrated music.

Now, when an OST is good, the producer or the composer will many times publish a soundtrack album with tracks that are thought to be HEARD, so you can find proper material for this competition there.
In other cases, the composer or the producer has never published a soundtrack album, so you will have to search for tracks arranged by third persons (in youtube you can find a lot of material produced by youtubers).

I'm not saying that you must not post OST. You should simply ask yourself if the OST is extractable or not. If it's extractable, then post the OST.

Each soundtrack posted in this thread will be posted with a poll in the exact order of this thread.

The poll will detect the opinions of users and it will automatically close after 7 days.

How do you rate this track?
It's horrible: 1 point.
It's quite bad: 2 points.
It's not so good and not so bad: 3 points
It's good: 4 points
It's very good: 5 points
It's excellent: 6 points

So, if for example two users vote "it's horrible", others two vote "it's not so good and not so bad", three vote "it's good" and one vote "it's excellent", the track will have the following score:

(2*1 + 2*2 + 3*4 + 1*6) / 8 = 3 points

At the end of the competition, the five tracks with the highest scores will compete between each others.

So, there will be a poll like this.

What's the best track?
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

If more than five tracks will have the same score, then the runoff will be between more than five tracks: the minimum number to not exclude the tracks which have the same score of the fifth track.

Ok, we can start!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'll start with those three tracks.

Composer - Videogame - Source - Title

Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda - The Legend of Zelda 25th anniversary symphony - Main theme

Nobuo Uematsu - Finaly Fantasy VI - Youtube - Maria and Draco (opera)

Jun Ishikawa - Super Smash Bros Melee - Smashing... Live! - Fountain of Dreams

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Music by Glenn Stafford, Jason Hayes, Derek Duke, Big Tuna, and Tracy W. Bush
Soundtrack of "StarCraft"

I'm definitely biased, because I still love this game after almost 24 years! But I try to be objective - I also find the soundtrack really good and creative! My favourite part is "Terran One", at timecode 4:23

I'm sorry, but in this competition you have to enroll single tracks, not entire soundtracks. So, could you please extract some tracks from this OST?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortress 2 Blue soundtracks by soundTeMP
"Be Higher"
"Once In A Life Time"
"There's Something About Supertank"
"The Profound"
"Tank Slayer"
Thanks.

In the OP I wrote that the tracks will be posted in the exact order of this thread, however I think it's better to post the tracks of the same videogame in a scattered order. Otherwise, a single videogame will monopolize the competition for weeks.

I also have more tracks coming from a single videogame, but I'm trying to post them in a scattered order to avoid what I wrote above.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, I didn't realize that I should post separate tracks.

Therefore here are my favourites from StarCraft:

Main theme of the Terrans:

Main theme of Protoss:

4th theme of Zerg:

The music reflects the different characteristics of the 3 StarCraft races pretty well!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Koji Kondo - Super Mario 64 - Youtube - Ultimate Bowser

Keiichi Suzuki - EarthBound - Youtube - Eight Melodies

Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hyrule Symphony (Album) - Epona's Song

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, all of them (3 for each race, 9 in total) are classic. Do you know that a remastered version for this game came out a few years ago, btw?
Yes, I know! It retains the former gameplay, but it's optically enhanced (f.e. better resolution). There are still professional tournaments which use the remastered client - I really enjoy watching the casts! I'll send you some links as PM

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fintasy X - Youtube - To Zanarkand

Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo - Super Mario Galaxy - Original soundtrack - Gusty Garden

and

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The greatest soundtracks of any film, TV, or video game, in my experience are

1. Dark Chronicle - Tomohito Nishiura
  2. Final Fantasy X - Uematsu/Hamauzu/Nakano
That's all I'll add to this. A few sneak peeks:

Assault - Final Fantasy X

Premonition of Something Going to Happen - Dark Chronicle

Sprouting - Final Fantasy X

Time is Changing - Dark Chronicle

Reactions: Chibi Ubu

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
678 Posts
composer - game - name of music

Alistair Hirst - Need for Speed 2 SE - Hell Bent for Lederhosen:

Saki Kaskas - Need for Speed 2 SE - Feta Cheese:

There are 8 race tracks in this game, and 2 pieces composed for each track. In the game the piece of music progresses depending on which part of the race track you have reached. So for each part of the race track a section of music is composed.

complete soundtrack:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts