Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here below you can read the regulation of the competition Talkclassical best pieces of J.S. Bach award.

The summary:
  • How does the competion work?
  • Which pieces are eligible?
  • What are the categories of the competition?
  • What are the individual categories of the musical pieces?

How does the competion work?

The competition will be based on the "kill the king" pattern, explained here below.
There is a king who try to defends his throne and a long list of people who want to kill him to steal him the throne.
When someone is able to kill the king in a fight, he becomes the new king and he will have to defend his throne by the other people who, like him, want to become the king.

In our competition the king won't be a person, but a piece of J.S. Bach. The other pieces inserted in the competition want to become the king and so they fight him in one-on-one battles.
There will be a long list of one-on-one battles between two pieces:
  • The king
  • The challenger

If the challenger wins, it becomes the new king.

The Final King, the one which will be at the throne after all battles, will be the winner.

Let's make an example of a battle.
In this example the king is the Orchestral Suite No. 1.
The challenger is the Orchestral Suite No. 2.

There will be a poll with a very simple question.

What's your favourite piece and how do you rate the challenger?
  • The king. The challenger is horribile (1 point).
  • The king. The challenger is quite bad (2 points).
  • The king. The challenger is not so good and not so bad (3 points).
  • The king. However the challenger is good (4 points).
  • The king. However the challenger is very good (5 points).
  • The king. However the challenger is excellent (6 points).
  • The challenger. It's horrible, but still better than the king (1 point).
  • The challenger. It's quite bad, but still better than the king (2 points).
  • The challenger. It's not so good and not so bad, but still better than the king. (3 points).
  • The challenger, which is good (4 points).
  • The challenger, which is very good (5 points).
  • The challenger, which is excellent (6 points).

Why so many options?
Because the questions of the poll are two, but I can't create two polls.
It's the union between two questions:
  • "What's your favourite piece"?
  • "How do you rate the challenger?"

The purpose of the second question is to give to each piece of the competition an individual score. The winner will be only one, but thanks to the individual score you will see what are the best pieces of J.S. Bach according to the community of TC.

Why there is not the question "how do you rate the king?". The answer is easy: because the king already has an individual score. Indeed, it wouldn't be the king if it had not been a challenger in a previous battle.

Ok?

Now, to begin the competition we need the Initial King.
The Initial King is not the king because it won a battle, but because he got the throne from god.

I'm the god, so I will set the Initial King for each category of the competition. Doesn't matter if it's good or not: if it's not good, it will be killed. So, this special power doesn't allow me to decide which will be the winner (the Final King).

For each Initial King, I will have to do a poll with the question "How do you rate the piece?". Indeed, the Initial King must have an individual score too.

Each poll of the competition will automatically close after 7 days.

Finally, what if the Final King has paradoxically a lower individual score than other pieces? To solve this possible paradox, there will be a final fight between the king and the pieces with a higher individual score.

Which pieces are eligible?

A piece, by definition, is a work of J.S. Bach with a BMW identifier.
Each BWV identifier corresponds to a different piece.

In the competion you can insert a piece, not a collection of pieces.
It's not that you can not insert a collection of pieces, but if you do that I will split the collection.

Only original pieces of J.S. Bach are allowed: remakes of other composers are not allowed.

You have two options:
  • You simply give me the BWV of the piece
  • You give me the BWV and a youtube video with a performance you like

In the first case, I will select the performance.

What are the categories of the competition?

There will be two categories:
  • Music without lyrics
  • Music with lyrics

In the first category are eligible all instrumental pieces. Vocal pieces are also allowed if there are no lyrics or if lyrics cover less than 50% of the piece.

In the second category are eligible all vocal pieces with lyrics. The lyrics must cover at least the 50% of the piece.

A piece of one competion's category will compete only with other pieces of the same category.

What are the individual categories of the pieces?

To each piece will be also assigned an individual category.

I will use the genres of this website as individual categories: Johann Sebastian Bach | Compositions | AllMusic
  • Chamber music
  • Choral
  • Concerto
  • Keyboard solo
  • Orchestral
  • Vocal music
  • Miscellaneous

... but with a little modification. I will split the category "keyboard solo" in two parts: organ and other keyboard, I will add a "String solo" category and "Other solo" category.

Pieces with different individual categories will compete between each others if they are in the same competition's category. The purpose of the individual category is, for example, to know what is the keyboard solo with the highest individual score.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts