Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Brahms, Mozart, Sibelius
10,464 Posts
Four year revision (alphabetically)....

Brahms: Symphony 3 Kempe/Berlin Philharmonic; Solti/Chicago Symphony; Walter/Columbia Symphony; Barbirolli/Vienna Philharmonic
Brahms: Symphony 2 Monteux/London Symphony; Walter/Columbia Symphony; Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra
Brahms: Symphony 1 Van Beinum/Amsterdam (Royal) Concertgebouw; Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra; Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra (1959)
Dvorak: Symphony 7 Szell/Cleveland Orchestra; Monteux/London Symphony
Dvorak: Symphony 8 Kertesz/London Symphony; Kubelik/Berlin Philharmonic
Franck: Symphony in D minor Monteux/Chicago Symphony
Mahler: Symphony 9 Barbirolli/Berlin Philharmonic
Schubert: Symphony 9 "Great" Szell/Cleveland Orchestra (1959 version Epic/Sony)
Sibelius: Symphony 6 Sanderling/Berlin Symphony Orchestra
Vaughan Williams: Symphony 3 "Pastoral" Haitink/London Philharmonic; Previn/London Symphony

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
an interestingly in part eccentric list with a strong Nordic emphasis. I'm a big fan of Tubin but no.2 never entirely registered -- parts of it see him at his most bombastic though it starts and ends well. Likewise Roussel's no.3 (which made a big impression when I heard Jarvi doing it live) seems much better know than his second which didn't do much for me when I heard it -- perhaps I should try that one again as well. The discovery is Langgard, though. This composer is maddeningly inconsistent but no. 6 seems to be the best of the symphonies I've tried. Still, it's surely Music of the Spheres which makes him stand out from the crowd
Langgaard was not a very consistent composer as you mention. However, some of his symphonies do resonate with me powerfully, namely 1-6 (1, 4 and 6 being remarkable), 10 and 13. No. 11 is an exhilarating "musical joke" which I also enjoy. Music of the Spheres, the opera Antikrist, some orchestral works and string quartets belong to my favorite pieces of his. If you don't know the Chandos recording of the Symphony No. 6, please, give that recording a listen. It's tremendous!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Interested in VW 9 being in there. Can you say what you like about it? There's a few on yr list i will explore but will start with VW 9.
Sorry for my delayed reply. For me, it's the most enigmatic and visionary of his symphonies, also somewhat violent in the style of his Sixth. VW knew how to stamp that "raw" and intriguing element on the score and he suceeded at it quite well. I can't speak in a more musical language, but I hope my subjective view of the piece makes any sense on you.

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
592 Posts
an interestingly in part eccentric list with a strong Nordic emphasis. I'm a big fan of Tubin but no.2 never entirely registered -- parts of it see him at his most bombastic though it starts and ends well. Likewise Roussel's no.3 (which made a big impression when I heard Jarvi doing it live) seems much better know than his second which didn't do much for me when I heard it -- perhaps I should try that one again as well. The discovery is Langgard, though. This composer is maddeningly inconsistent but no. 6 seems to be the best of the symphonies I've tried. Still, it's surely Music of the Spheres which makes him stand out from the crowd
I love the last movement in Tubin’s 2nd. Real Rock’n’Roller! Overall, I think the 7th & 8th are his greatest works.

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
592 Posts
the 8th is certainly among the greatest. I can't remember 7 now which means I probably wasn't that impressed when I went through the complete cycle quite a long time ago (I only bought 3,4,5 and 8 so far)
The 2nd reminds me of the theme tune from Sapphire & Steel, so I love it!

Tubin’s 7th is very much a companion piece to the incredible 8th.

I consider the 4th to be an overrated, bloated mess…

·
Registered
198 Posts
the 4th was my first introduction to the composer, hearing it live in Edinburgh with Jarvi, needless to say. This overrated bloated mess remains my favourite.:)

101 - 107 of 107 Posts