Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been teaching myself some piano for about 4 months now and I've been suffering from tension headaches more or less from the moment I started practicing more intensively.

Anyone with the same experiences? advice?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Self-teaching piano is highly not recommended. Because nobody will point out mistakes to you that you cannot see yourself, and so you will just get worse and worse because:

Practice doesn't make perfect.

Practice just makes whatever you play more ingrained, meaning the mistakes that you make will become part of your playing forever.

This is why players who don't have a teacher won't get anywhere, just going in circles.
Apart from the advice of not self-teaching piano (thanks for that advice) do you have any advice in case that I don't follow your first advice and keep continuing self teaching the piano? :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, if you are adamant in self-teaching, then I have a few tips for you to digest...

I won't even mention about the disadvantages of electronic pianos.
Ahem....

I practice on a midi keyboard, I think it's just one step above fisher price. My plan was if I keep practicing for one year with decent discipline I would look for something more expensive that emulates the key-action of a real piano better. But a grand piano or upright is no option.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps you're tensing up your shoulders/neck when you play? I notice that my piano students often do that - when they're concentrating on a difficult passage, they tend to hunch forward and scrunch up their shoulders. That kind of posture, with the neck craning forward, could definitely cause tension headaches. When you practice, you should be mindful of your posture, and be sure to stop and take a break if you feel tension creeping into your body.
Possibly, although I pay attention to relax now and then. I would think that if my playing was really the cause of my head-tension, it would be a common complaint among pianists but I virtually found nothing on the ENTIRE internet. Hence my post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts