Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever thanked an artist for a recording you particularly enjoy? I've done it a couple of times (to a soprano and an organ player), simply by sending an e-mail with a heartfelt compliment. The gratitude that comes back is absolutely amazing. Even a few simple words can really make their day.
Generally speaking, it's not difficult to trace an artist's e-mail address or contact form, and otherwise you end up in the inbox of a management agent, which is fine as well. Recommended!

· Registered
3,413 Posts
I have done this many times. Sometimes I contact the performers, sometimes the record company, and a few times the producer. Most recently I wrote to Chandos expressing delight with the Hollywood Soundstage CD. Years ago when the Schmidt 4th came out on Chesky I wrote the producer and got a really nice letter back. Years ago when I was quite young and I wrote to Lorin Maazel after hearing a live concert with the Cleveland Orchestra. He wrote back a very nice letter encouraging me to keep my ears opens and support live, classical music. I still have that letter. But the single most astouding thing was writing to Teldec expressing my delight at the recent set of Beethoven symphonies with Harnoncourt. A few months later I got a box in the mail from Teldec - and there was the new set of Beethoven piano concerto, Missa Solemnis, overtures and other Harnoncourt items - all for free! Yes, writing to performers and record companies is a good thing!

· Premium Member
9,049 Posts
One of my old mates once wrote to Jimi Hendrix thanking him for the beautiful 'Little Wing". He didn't get an answer. Not surprising really as that was in 1980. True story, btw. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
18,028 Posts
Several times. Even back in the snail mail days I wrote a couple letters. I met one of them 20 years later and he remembered my full name. I was impressed! But not to anyone in the classical world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts