Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
42,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bucket list is a list of experiences someone wants to have at some point in their life (originally by the time of your last breath - kicking the bucket, hence the name). On another site someone started an anti-bucket list - things many people like to do or get, and you have zero interest in it, or are even completely against the idea for yourself. Shall we try it? Maybe best to keep it at one per post, and share a bit more why it is on your anti-bucket list.

OP goes first, so...

Getting a tattoo. No way. Even aside from the aspect that it the process is painful and the result permanent (save for extensive treatments), I absolutely see no point in it.

· Registered
3,303 Posts
Agree to both (although I passed my test at first attempt with a bit of luck) and I never even considered these things as attractive for me.

Although it's not exactly "anti", I'd rather name three things I thought I'd liked to do when I was younger but eventually gave up or decided I didn't like them enough or didn't really want to pursue to the extent necessary.

• run a marathon (I ran track at ~12-16, and made some attempts to get back into running in my 30s and 40s (I am 50 now) but my body apparently is not made for more than moderate jogging).
  • go on sailing cruises (on smallish boats like in the Mediterranean or so), I get seasick badly, so I had to scratch that. The one cruise I went on was spent half horribly sick, half bored, so I also think I liked the idea more than the reality, even disregarding the nausea.
  • ambitious climbing and mountaineering tours; I dipped into this when younger and I'll still do moderate hiking (apt for middle aged people) but it seems too late now to develop the experience to do more demanding stuff (and I am not going to pay big bucks for a guide to drag me up the Matterhorn, it's overcrowded anyway). Admittedly, this is probably the area where I might get more ambitious again at some stage.

· Registered
399 Posts
I would not pay an obscene amount of money for Taylor Swift tickets.

Running a marathon, or half marathon, just isn't going to happen. I will consider jogging a 5K for a good cause but I'm not much of a running man.

Visiting Mecca. Won't go there.

Fishing with dynamite. As much fun as playing with TNT is....it's unethical.

· Premium Member
14,065 Posts
Take up golf.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Another thing I imagined 20-25 years ago I might want do in the future but have basically scratched:
Attend an opera at the Bayreuth festival. I am just not enough into opera anymore for the hazzle to be worth it.
I wanted to do this for so long. But given the modern staging ideas they use there nowadays, it's off my list. Going to he Staatsoper in Munchen is still a bucket item!

· Registered
3,303 Posts
I have been to the three Berlin opera houses, to Dresden, Bonn and some smaller theatres. Not Vienna, but I'd go that if I was going there for holidays or so. I used to go far more frequently to small local theatres/operas in my region around 2000 when I had local friends/girlfriends who could be convinced to go....
Nowadays I am too poor but I have been since years too lazy to go to the opera, especially if it involved longer drives or (worse) taking a whole weekend trip. It's also because I don't have anyone to go with now.

· Senior Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
42,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely seconding the cruise, bungee jumping, and golf.

A controversial one (judging from discussions with family and friends): getting children. Early in our marriage (which will be hitting 23 years in a few weeks), my wife and I decided that we did not need children in our life. We never regretted it.

· Premium Member
9,024 Posts
I looked at one of those dreadful / dreary '100 things to do before you die' sites :rolleyes: and I didn't get far down the list before I found the following....

Spend A Night In An Igloo Village

There are several problems with this:
1) I hate snow
2) I can't stand being cold
3) I have zero interest in spending a night in an igloo.
4) I have little interest in visiting cold countries
5) Why bother?
6) No

· Registered
3,950 Posts
Take a cruise ... the idea of being on a ship with 2000+ (and usually a LOT more) people where the primary things to do are eat and be herded around various shore-based tourist traps ... no thank you!
I've done three cruises in my life. The most recent was to Antarctica. Two hundred passengers, almost as many on the staff, and thousands and thousands of penguins. Pretty nice. And (for better or worse) not all that cold.

· Registered
5,689 Posts
I've done three cruises in my life. The most recent was to Antarctica. Two hundred passengers, almost as many on the staff, and thousands and thousands of penguins. Pretty nice. And (for better or worse) not all that cold.
That I could deal with, maybe even a Rhine river cruise, but I was referring to the more generic cruises. 6000 people on a ship? <shudder>

Years ago I took a trip to Alaska, part of which was the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I was in one of the regular Alaska RR coaches but at the back of the train were many coaches dedicated to cruise ship passengers. I got to do (most) anything when I wanted, they, however ... :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
4,188 Posts
A bucket list is a list of experiences someone wants to have at some point in their life (originally by the time of your last breath - kicking the bucket, hence the name). On another site someone started an anti-bucket list - things many people like to do or get, and you have zero interest in it, or are even completely against the idea for yourself. Shall we try it? Maybe best to keep it at one per post, and share a bit more why it is on your anti-bucket list.

OP goes first, so...

Getting a tattoo. No way. Even aside from the aspect that it the process is painful and the result permanent (save for extensive treatments), I absolutely see no point in it.
'Room 101' would be a better title for this thread, more accurate too.....

• Wow
Reactions: Merl and prlj
1 - 20 of 62 Posts