Classical Music Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Gencer must have been a formidable Lady M.
She got into some bloody weird habits latter in her career, but for some reason, I still enjoyed listening to her. Sometimes people do things wrong in a way that just....works. I'd lump her in with the likes of Leontyne Price and Ewa Podles: a singer with a muddy vocal production (late in her career at least) that imparted a kind of charisma that worked particularly well for certain roles (ex: we don't want Ulrica to sound clear and youthful or Bess to sound high class and crisp).

·
Registered
119 Posts
She got into some bloody weird habits latter in her career, but for some reason, I still enjoyed listening to her. Sometimes people do things wrong in a way that just....works. I'd lump her in with the likes of Leontyne Price and Ewa Podles: a singer with a muddy vocal production (late in her career at least) that imparted a kind of charisma that worked particularly well for certain roles (ex: we don't want Ulrica to sound clear and youthful or Bess to sound high class and crisp).
Gencer is at her best in the 1950s. Afterwards, all sorts of problems crept in. She once stated that she permanently damaged her voice by singing Prokofiev's The Fiery Angel.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I just discovered her recently. I think with her beauty along with her lovely singing she must have been great onstage. To me it is a voice that is hard to pick out from other voices but she sings really well and had a very broad repertoire. She would have been a great house soprano as she was so versatile. She is in a contest or two.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I love the male voice so much that when I just think about glorious renditions of a song I think of

Gigli - Le Roi d'ys aria he has a few but the one on the songs and arias LP
Bjoerling/Merrill Pearl Fishers Duet forget about it!
Ghiaurov Aleko aria baritone velvet and bass authority
Bergonzi Lucia Fra Poco a me Ricovero my idea of perfect

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Okay, not to be too insistent, this rediscovered recording has the most interesting cast in their best voice with, in my experience, the best Siegmund I've ever heard. So for that role alone, I nominate the 1965 Covent Garden Die Walküre.

Of course, others may have heard what they consider their best Siegmund recording, as I haven't heard all, even though I've heard Melchior in the role. Kozub is my ow favorite.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Of course, others may have heard what they consider their best Siegmund recording, as I haven't heard all, even though I've heard Melchior in the role. Kozub is my ow favorite.
I've thought about your boy Kozub alot since you turned me on to him, and I will get to the whole thing eventually. But just based on the end of Act I and the Todesverkundigung I really have no trouble giving him the label of the most beautiful Helden Tenor voice I can remember hearing. And I've always thought Vickers voice was beautiful. But Kozub takes it. And of course, he is more than that.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I've thought about your boy Kozub alot since you turned me on to him, and I will get to the whole thing eventually. But just based on the end of Act I and the Todesverkundigung I really have no trouble giving him the label of the most beautiful Helden Tenor voice I can remember hearing. And I've always thought Vickers voice was beautiful. But Kozub takes it. And of course, he is more than that.
Glad you think so, too ScottK!

·
Registered
116 Posts

"A seamless outpouring of golden tones", as someone once coined on this forum (not sure if I remember it correctly...).
Count me among the heretics but I have never been moved by Jussi Bjorling (but with the acknowledgment of his beautiful timbre). But for Gueden, I came to appreciate her a lot lately. She was born Austrian but sang these light coloratura Italian roles much better than some more popular names.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Count me among the heretics but I have never been moved by Jussi Bjorling (but with the acknowledgment of his beautiful timbre). .
You're a heretic!

But just since you put it out there and I want to post something.....Yes, he can certainly leave me cold at times. But for me, when he's right, and sings with that un-embellished classical style of his, he can be just about the very best. Ideale, the "Il mio nome non sai.." section from Turandot, Pearl Fishers with Merril, his early Trovatore....top of the mountain stuff!

·
Registered
167 Posts
This sounds bad too. Quite distorted.
Yes it is but I find it clearer than in the other video I posted. There is a third version on Youtube but the quality is not any better so I do not think it is worth posting it.

Miss Gueden looks a bit long in the tooth for Gilda here.
She is only 39! At least she still sounds the part.

One of the most beautiful Brangäne I have ever heard:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Okay, not to be too insistent, this rediscovered recording has the most interesting cast in their best voice with, in my experience, the best Siegmund I've ever heard. So for that role alone, I nominate the 1965 Covent Garden Die Walküre.

Is Kozub a name or a nickname. Never heard of that name.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Is Kozub a name or a nickname. Never heard of that name.
Ernst Kozub, tenor, (1924-1971). He recorded Erik in Der fliegende Holländer under Klemperer with Theo Adam and Anja Silja. He was originally cast as Siegfired in the Solti Ring, but was replaced by Windgassen because he failed to learn the part.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ernst Kozub, tenor, (1924-1971). He recorded Erik in Der fliegende Holländer under Klemperer with Theo Adam and Anja Silja. He was originally cast as Siegfired in the Solti Ring, but was replaced by Windgassen because he failed to learn the part.
I saw Anja Silja as Senta in Bayeuth at 15. I think her jaw was bigger than Sutherland's. I just added Kozub to some contests. Thanks. I always learn from you people. To be a successful opera singer it takes more than talent. You have to work very hard as well according to my sister. She had a best friend who had a more extraordinary voice than hers. My sister said if she had that voice she could have been a big name prima donna but her friend floundered because she was lazy.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts