Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 120 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
How about a numbered symphony game? Where we in round one nominate and vote for symphonies called "Symphony No. 1" (or something similar), in the second round nominate second symphonies, then third symphonies etc, all the way up to nine, for example. And maybe then one round for symphonies without numbers.

·
Super Moderator
31,678 Posts
How about a numbered symphony game? Where we in round one nominate and vote for symphonies called "Symphony No. 1" (or something similar), in the second round nominate second symphonies, then third symphonies etc, all the way up to nine, for example. And maybe then one round for symphonies without numbers.
I think those were the first games I ran here. But like all the old ones, we can do it again.

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Dorsetmike had the following recommendations:

"Hi Don, has a game of organ works been done? I don't recall seeing one, same goes for harpsichord works - solo and concerti. A thought springs to mind - keyboard works from before 1800 thus excluding piano & Saint Saens organ symphony, but including spinet, clavichord etc.
Whilst the brain is working another possibility is works on period instruments (pre 1800). Madrigals and motets might be less popular but could also do with an airing, think I'll try a Youtube thread of those before any game, I suspect there are more than a few TC members have never heard any."

"Hi Don, maybe put a limit on number of works per composer, Stanley composed 30 voluntaries as well as 12 concerti, Buxtehude has quite a few, but I see Amaxon offer 17CDs of Bach organ works!
Would it make more sense to somehow separate into solo organ, solo harpsichord, and concerti either in preliminary rounds or as separate "mini games" followed by a combined top 5(+?) of each mini as a Final."

I'm still in the process of digesting the above. I put it in this thread to insure I don't forget about it. Perhaps some of you have thoughts on the subject.

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I love the games section and am a regular participant, but I do have one suggestion: fewer games running at one time.
And I was thinking of running more games. :lol:

I'd like to know how all voters feel about this subject and why.

My personal feelings:

1. Running games is what I do here at TC.

2. I'd love to see the entire first screen filled with active games. Of course, that will never happen unless additional members run games on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts

I'd like to know how all voters feel about this subject and why...
I'm fine with the number of games. You don't have to play them all. Some have too narrow a focus or are too specific for my current listening and I don't have the time to invest.

I'm currently playing four games.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

I'd like to know how all voters feel about this subject and why.

My personal feelings:

1. Running games is what I do here at TC.

2. I'd love to see the entire first screen filled with active games. Of course, that will never happen unless additional members run games on a regular basis.
I am all for more games. You do not have to take part in all of them (I certainly do not), but the more variety, the better.

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I don`t have any problems with the number of the simultaneously ran games but I`d generally prefer having less works per round for gaming purposes.
I have a general rule-of-thumb that I use. For games where many of the works are relatively unfamiliar, I tend to go with about 10 works per round. Otherwise, my preference is about 20 works per round. Infrequently, I might go well above 20 if I'm feeling chaotic. :lol:

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Idea for a future game: symphonies, string quartets, piano sonatas, operas or other types of works by composers who've only written one of those. I.e. Messiaen only wrote one symphony, Beethoven wrote only one opera, Dutilleux only one piano sonata, etc. So one-and-done composers with one particular genre. (Nominating the work, not the composer, of course)
I've been thinking about this one-and-done approach. If a composer wrote 5 piano concertos, 3 violin concertos, and one clarinet concerto, would the clarinet concerto represent one-and-done. Mozart has his famous clarinet quintet, but he also wrote a clarinet quintet fragment; one-and-done? There are numerous examples of situations where inclusion would be problematic.

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
What about numbered symphonies beyond no. 9? I'm thinking composers such as Mozart, Haydn, and Segerstam.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've been thinking about this one-and-done approach. If a composer wrote 5 piano concertos, 3 violin concertos, and one clarinet concerto, would the clarinet concerto represent one-and-done. Mozart has his famous clarinet quintet, but he also wrote a clarinet quintet fragment; one-and-done? There are numerous examples of situations where inclusion would be problematic.
Yeah, that's true. I'd stick to completed works. In the case of Mozart's clarinet concerto, if the subject was "clarinet concertos" then it fits the bill, but if it were "concertos" (in general), then it wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Another transitional period game? This time, from Baroque to Classical? Whatever you call this period (or its styles) - Galant, Rococo - specific time period based on composers' births can be found, I guess. That would be the third game of this type, and then perhaps another one, from Romantic to Modern.

Reactions: Bulldog

·
Super Moderator
31,678 Posts
I've done song cycles some time ago (I still remember the usual controversy whether something is a song cycle or not...). I also ran a game about numbered symphonies beyond no. 9. Still, as with all themes from the past, no harm in repeating.

I like the way my "beyond the top100" game turned out in terms of nominations and participation. This is a format worth repeating a few times I think (as each composer was and will be limited to one entry), maybe followed by a final game pitting the various top 10's against eachother.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Piano transcriptions? I do not know whether there was already such a game, could not find it.

Reactions: haziz and Bulldog

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Hear hear..........................

Reactions: Bulldog
101 - 120 of 165 Posts