Classical Music Forum banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Although it might seem that I start games on a moment's notice, I usually get a proposed game in my head and mull it over for a couple of weeks before initiating it. Fact is that I routinely dump more proposed games than I start.

About a year ago, I was thinking of a game of humorous works. A few days later I said to myself "who am I kidding? I don't like funny music and often don't recognize it as funny when it's right in front of me". This applies especially to PDQ Bach and Haydn; I'm told that it was common for Haydn to write humor in his music, but I've never heard it.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Fact is that I routinely dump more proposed games than I start.
If the Opus Pocus proposal is too problematic, then here are some others for Bulldog's dumpster:

-) a game of compositions based upon ancient Greek tragedies and mythology, entitled "It's all Greek to me"
-) "sea-note" - all pieces nautical, naval, maritime, aquatic, etc. (the winner gets a soggy counterfeit $100-bill)
-) a game of clunkers (works inspired by automobiles, locomotives, steam engines, etc.)
-) musical manuscripts based upon authors' novels, called "Follow the script"
-) clef-tomaniac! composers who've borrowed, appropriated, lifted, etc., from those who came before them

Too much to mull over at once, no doubt, but perhaps one of these might appeal more than the others before they all get sent into the doghouse?

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
If the Opus Pocus proposal is too problematic, then here are some others for Bulldog's dumpster:
-) a game of clunkers (works inspired by automobiles, locomotives, steam engines, etc.)
If we were nominating composers rather than compositions for that game, I suspect Dvořák would win it outright. Our favorite trainspotter! Funny, I can't think of any of his compositions with an overt train musical reference!

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
3,010 Posts

-) a game of compositions based upon ancient Greek tragedies and mythology, entitled "It's all Greek to me"
-) "sea-note" - all pieces nautical, naval, maritime, aquatic, etc. (the winner gets a soggy counterfeit $100-bill)
-) musical manuscripts based upon authors' novels, called "Follow the script"
-) clef-tomaniac! composers who've borrowed, appropriated, lifted, etc., from those who came before them

Too much to mull over at once, no doubt, but perhaps one of these might appeal more than the others before they all get sent into the doghouse?
Here's an idea...

Start your own game using the themes and concepts which are of the most interest to you.

Create a game that will challenge both you and the players - Be your own game-manager.

Start a "selection thread" -Once you have 20 viable candidates, you can start a new game.

Follow the game templates developed by Bulldog or Art Rock on the first page of the games thread.

Choose a scoring method - Keep track of the votes - And you've got yourself a game.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
In the Community Feedback thread there is discussion of possibly excluding game threads from the new posts link. I've chimed in as someone who would NOT like to see that happen. If anyone else cares about this functionality it might be worth it to make your feelings known in that thread.

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Game participation seems to have declined in recent days. I assume it's because of the new site; I noticed that two or three voters said they were quite displeased with the changes and intended to leave. Personally, I find it weird that anyone would depart after only one or two days; new sites are always rather challenging at first.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
There are always going to be people who are put off by change, and since there is no requirement for any of us to participate on this site, that means that inevitably some people will choose to leave any time a significant change to the user experience is made.
I'll be honest, I wasn't too thrilled with it at first either, but I know I'll get used to it over time. I get enough out of my participation here to make that effort.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
3,010 Posts
Just noticed that Bulldog is now rearranging his boards at a certain point in the games with the numbers in descending order - This is a really first-rate idea that adds a whole new perspective to the gameplay.

It should probably be called the "Bulldog Shuffle" - I wish that I had thought of it first so that I could have called it the "Shaughnessy Shuffle" but I didn't and so I can't.

I've decided to add this feature to my game starting today - It really does make a difference when the players can see just how close some of the scores are and how even one point can make a difference.

One request - one that is probably echoed by Bulldog - please do not rearrange the boards numerically on your own - Leave it for the game-manager - There have been so many out-of-date boards being played because the forum software places you right at the point where you left off in the thread rather than at the very end that it is becoming more and more difficult to keep the boards straight.

·
Premium Member
38,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Just noticed that Bulldog is now rearranging his boards at a certain point in the games with the numbers in descending order - This is a really first-rate idea that adds a whole new perspective to the gameplay.

It should probably be called the "Bulldog Shuffle" - I wish that I had thought of it first so that I could have called it the "Shaughnessy Shuffle" but I didn't and so I can't.
Just noticed it? I've been doing this in every game for over a year. :)

Reminds me of the time I noticed a brand new plant in our family room. I told my wife that I was impressed with the plant's compelling look and thanked her for placing a new beauty in our home. She got real mad, saying that the plant had been in that exact location for about 4 years.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
3,010 Posts
Just noticed it? I've been doing this in every game for over a year. :)
The problem is that there's never a moment when I'm able to concentrate on whatever is actually happening here - At work, in my office (brokerage firm), I've got four monitors on my desk, the phone is ringing, the analysts are second-guessing themselves and need advice, guidance, and a place they can cry without being laughed at... At home, I'm catching up on the work that I couldn't do during the week because I couldn't concentrate properly because there were people crying in my office all week long. The stock market is not for the faint of heart.

It is a great idea though and I genuinely wish that I had noticed it earlier - What a difference it makes in gameplay strategy. - Wildly impressive.

The only thing that I do remember is you asking people not to do it - and I can understand why.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Reminds me of the time I noticed a brand new plant in our family room. I told my wife that I was impressed with the plant's compelling look and thanked her for placing a new beauty in our home. She got real mad, saying that the plant had been in that exact location for about 4 years.
Oh, your statement could have been mine ...

141 - 160 of 165 Posts