Classical Music Forum banner
161 - 165 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
37,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I have noticed an uptick in voters not deleting the parentheses from the previous voter's board. This increases the time I spend on board review and also is a time-waster for the next voter.
If there is any improvement with the above situation, I haven't seen it.

Come on folks - it's so simple. What I do is immediately erase the parentheses after copying/pasting the previous voting post - then I vote. It has served me well.

·
Registered
37,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
There was some talk a few weeks ago about having negative voting in games. At that time, I gave my reasons why I stopped offering such games.

Just wanted to inform you that I will soon be offering a game with negative voting in the next "Common Themes Among Twenty Works" game. There will be 10 points for positive voting and 1 point for negative voting. It's just one little point, and we will see how it goes. Of course, no one is required to offer a negative vote. I'm doing this because it sometimes irks me that I can't go negative on a work that I don't think well of.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm doing this because it sometimes irks me that I can't go negative on a work that I don't think well of.
I think I understand what you mean ... :)

... however, positive and negative votes are strictly separated, if I got you right. You can give up to 10 positive point and up to one negative point.

Just want to modestly point out some alternative setting. Maybe it is stupid, but I try. You could give nine points in total, provided that there are not more than 10 positive points and not more than one negative.

So you could give ten times +1 and once -1 ( 10x1 + 1x(-1) = 10 - 1 = 9) or alternatively give nine times +1 and no negative point.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,316 Posts
Advice to anyone who may be contemplating creating a game - Reach out to the two established game creators/managers first and ask for advice and guidance before posting your thread. After having managed hundreds of games, they've already experienced every conceivable mistake that can be made and they can effortlessly see the flaws in your game which are clearly evident at a distance and impossible to see within the limits of your own field of vision.

Don't re-invent the wheel - Even if you successfully manage to re-invent the wheel, you've accomplished nothing other than creating something that already exists. And your wheel will, in all likelihood, have bent spokes, a crooked rim, and a flat tire.

Sometimes, it's important to make your own mistakes so that you can learn from them - Other times, making your own mistakes with the full knowledge that others have already solved the problems you're attempting to find a solution to is just the worst sort of foolishness imaginable.

I can't think of any circumstances in which hitting yourself in the head repeatedly with a hammer is a particularly great idea other than that it feels really good when you stop but that's kind of an off-the-wall completely nuts almost clinically insane rationale to use to justify hitting yourself in the head with a hammer... repeatedly.

The two established game creators/managers are personable and approachable - They don't bark - They don't bite - They don't growl...
But, having said that, I still probably wouldn't try to pet them... :LOL:

·
Registered
37,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I got back to Albuquerque late Sunday with the cold from hell; fortunately, it's better now. It's been a pleasure to return to game management, and all of you are making it easy for me.

I have to say a few words about the Beatles game. In just about every game, the basic mechanism is Copy and Paste. I've never seen so many voting posts avoid the mechanism as much as for the Beatles game. Lazy people even reside here on TC. Actually, I don't think they want to play the game, just pop-off their favorite songs and get out fast. That's disrespect for the game, and their entries should always be rejected (and our Beatles man is doing just that).

161 - 165 of 165 Posts