Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Does anybody consider Classical Music Pieces with dark or alternative subject matter offensive to persons with a strong religious faith. The pieces listed below are just some I singled out, there are countless others that could be added as well.

Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra / Alpine Symphony / Death and Transfiguration / Salome: Dance of the Seven Veils

Igor Stravinsky: Rite of Spring

Hector Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique

Camille Saint-Saëns: Danse Macabre / Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah

Modest Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition / A Night on the Bare Mountain

Gustav Holst: The Planets

Sergei Rachmaninov-The Isle of the Dead and Countless other pieces.

The pieces above are all instrumental, except the wordless vocals on Holst:Neptune, and I do not listen to them with a program. Meaning, that anything the composer may or may not have intended to be associated with the piece is lost upon me. I have my own thoughts while listening to any piece of music. Being a devout music lover, I have often wondered about this matter with several music pieces, but I have found no general consensus regarding this matter.
My 2¢

Instrumental music is only "offensive to persons with a strong religious faith" if they so choose to associate that instrumental music to something they find religiously offensive.

I'd go so far to say that there IS a "general consensus" that instrumental music of the sort you've listed is inoffensive.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Sorry not heard of tha5 one
Oh, that's the Xtian fundamentalistic theory that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, 'cause you can count backwards by generations in the Bible from the birth of Christ, and arrive at at that figure.

The idea that Earth formed only a few thousand years ago is not based upon physical evidence and is more appropriately considered a "belief".

Scientists, especially geologists think that, based on scientific evidence, that the Earth is closer to 4.5 billion years old.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Isn't it funny that many of the so-called 'scientific' theories that were propagated when I was a lad have now been debunked. They were not based on physical evidence but merely theory. There is actually 96% of what goes on in the universe that we don't actually know about. But why are you derailing this thread? What on earth has this to do with music?
Simple.

You remarked that you had not heard of the "one comma" age of the earth.

I thought that meant you wanted some sort of explanation. I tried to do that without any bias in my answer.

No need to get überpissy and ultra defensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts