Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Classical music does have a "dark side". In the Star Wars universe, Emperor Palpatine is the evil dictator of the galaxy. He has no redeeming qualities, except one: he was a patron of the arts and built the Galactic Opera House where he enjoyed opera from his private box.

Palpatine at the opera:

Star Wars Opera Scene Dark Forces - YouTube

Have You Ever Heard The Tragedy of Darth Plageuis the Wise?: The Importance  of the Opera Scene in Revenge of the Sith – SW Holocron

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
As a Freethinker, I have almost no interest in music with an overt religious content. There are a few exceptions-- the Hallelujah chorus because of the sheer power and beauty of the singing, Handelian magic. Also Paul Robeson singing Blake's Jerusalem: a combination of Robeson"s massive voice with Blake's fantastic evocative poetry. And also Philip Glass' Hymn to the Sun from Akhnaten,: beautiful, quiet evocation of the gift of the Aten, the visible disk of the sun.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think what is missing here is the perception of "darkness" in many cases. Is Bach's Toccata & Fugue BWV 565 "dark?" Movies and media has certainly made us associate it with a horror and "darkness." Is the 4th movement (In The Hall of the Mountain King) of Greig's Pier Gynt #1 "dark?" I don't know. I certainly think there is a spice of "darkness" to it. I always imagine a sneaky demon quietly infiltrating someone's domicile before revealing itself and reeking havoc upon the house and it's occupants. I'm not sure why. I love blasting Bach's Passacaglia & Fuge on my stereo on Halloween and watching kids stop and stare trying to figure out if they should come to my door to trick or treat. This and many other moments in music could certainly be portrayed as being "dark." In few of the pieces listed in the OP can I find anything "dark." So, I guess it's all in the ears of the beholder.

I'm not sure if religious people would, or rather, should find anything "offensive" in almost any classical music. I'm starting to not even like the word "offensive" anymore due ot it's extreme overuse. It's starting to become meaningless just like racist, fascist, and nazi. A wise man once said that "offense" is nothing more than an insecurity revealed. I agree. I'm secure with myself and my beliefs enough that almost nothing "offends" me. I can't remember the last time I was "offended."

V

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well, with all due respect, that tells me you're not paying attention to current trends.

I can understand not being SHOCKED. But offended?
True, I'm not shocked as you rightly guessed. I saw much of what is happening now coming for the past 20 years. I saw the seeds of it planted long before that. Angered, dismayed, disappointed, upset. I think those are more apt words to describe how I feel re: current trends.

V

101 - 107 of 107 Posts